Rifles at Orleans

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 1998
      My knowledge of the particulars of the battle aren't up to snuff but I also
      understood that there were only about 70 backwoods riflemen at the battle.
      70 man firing rifles in volley formation does not constitute what one would
      call a withering volley (loss of accurracy, etc. etc) And with the one
      minute loading time they can still only fire 70 rounds it just means that
      now they've broken it down to, say, 23 rounds every 20 seconds. This would
      suggest then that troops who fought in the pennisula and were used to
      receiving thousands of rounds from the French every 20 seconds have now
      broken and are running through the brambles in the face of frightening
      local yokels. I guess either, someone lied about the British being the best
      troops in the world or history was written with a slight bias towards the
      side of the winner (and we all know this hardly ever happens).

      Next edition... Safety and what the Royal Newfoundlanders Think!