Elsie Fisher

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2000
      NOTICE !

      Elsie Fisher had a double heart by-pass this morning.

      According to a mutual friend,

      "We talked to the hospital this afternoon and she came
      through with flying colours, still sleeping but doing
      good the nurse said."

      Elsie is the better half of Ken Fisher,
      they run

      Ashley Grange Traders
      RR #1
      22799 Kintyre Line
      Rodney, Ontario
      Canada N0L 2C0
      (519) 785 - 2215

      Suppliers of wool, drums, tents, leather work, etc.
      their advert appears in Smoke & Fire News.

      For those of you who know of them a get well card
      would be in order.
      Maybe even a card from New Zeland or Britain!

      Larry Lozon

    • James Yaworsky
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 22, 2008
        It is with great sadness that I must inform you of the passing of
        Elsie Fisher, wife of Ken Fisher, Rodney Ontario, who was a long time
        leader in our re-enacting community in Canada. Elsie passed away this
        morning, Friday November 21, 2008 at her nursing home in Port Stanley,
        Ontario.

        Most recently, Elsie and Ken were the founders of the HMS Charwell
        Landing Party (Royal Navy) and were responsible for the field
        artillery and naval gunnery training of many of our current gunners in
        our community.

        Elsie will be at rest in the McFarlane & Roberts funeral home located
        on Wharncliffe Road in Lambeth, Ontario (south of London, Ontario).
        Additional details should be available by Saturday evening at;

        http://www.mcfarlane-roberts.ca/

        The funeral service has tentatively been scheduled for Wednesday,
        November 26, 2008 and members of HMS Charwell and others will be
        welcome to provide a uniformed honour guard.

        Friends can contact Ken at;

        Ken Fisher
        RR #1
        22799 Kintyre Line
        Rodney, Ontario
        Canada N0L 2C0

        (519) 785 - 2215

        Ken does not have an email address.

        Please feel free to contact me for additional details as they become
        available,

        Gord Deans
      • Spencer's Mercantile
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 22, 2008
          The end of an era has come. And although we all knew that it was
          coming, given Elsie's poor health in recent years, it is nonetheless sad
          news. Elsie and Ken have been a part of re-enacting more or less
          forever, and somehow, it just seemed like they would "always" be
          around. Elsie's passing will leave a noticeable hole in the fabric of
          our little community.

          I spoke with Elsie a while back, and I was surprised and reassured to
          find that she seemed more at peace with herself and all those around her
          than I had ever known her. Although clearly frustrated by the
          limitations forced upon her by her illnesses, she continued to do
          everything that she could to participate in life, and in events in
          particular. She truly had a deep love for re-enacting and for
          everything that goes along with it. How many of us, if in continual
          discomfort and confined to a wheelchair, would continue to insist on
          going out to every available event, dressing in period, and
          participating to the best of our abilities? She really wanted to be out
          there firing the cannon -- unable to do so, she still made the effort to
          get out there and do whatever she could. That is something that I will
          always admire her for.

          During our conversation, I had the very strong sense that she knew that
          she had not much longer here, and that she was saying goodbye. We
          hugged and parted as good friends, and I am truly grateful for having
          had that last chance to spend a few minutes with her.

          She'll be missed.

          Wishing strength and forbearance in this trying time to all of the
          members of her family, and especially to Ken --
          -- Sioux

          James Yaworsky wrote:

          > It is with great sadness that I must inform you of the passing of
          > Elsie Fisher, wife of Ken Fisher, Rodney Ontario, who was a long time
          > leader in our re-enacting community in Canada. Elsie passed away this
          > morning, Friday November 21, 2008 at her nursing home in Port Stanley,
          > Ontario.

        • roy winders
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 22, 2008
            Well put Sue, the passing of Elsie truly is the end of an era, Ive known Ken and Elsie
            since the mid 80's back in Woodstock.They contributed as much if not more than anyone
            in this hobby, they were the toughest people I ever met, I hope Ken can summon that
            strength at this time. Safe journey Elsie.
            Our thoughts go out to Ken and his family.
            Roy & Elsa Winders

            ________________________________

            James Yaworsky wrote:

            > It is with great sadness that I must inform you of the passing of
            > Elsie Fisher, wife of Ken Fisher, Rodney Ontario, who was a long time
            > leader in our re-enacting community in Canada. Elsie passed away this
            > morning, Friday November 21, 2008 at her nursing home in Port Stanley,
            > Ontario.

          • Greg
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 22, 2008
              With all our prayers for a glorious crossing over back to the Creator
              and the into the West - the direction of the ancestors, the On-Gwe-Ho-
              Way group send out our strength to Ken and the entire family. It has
              always been a high point of each event to visit with Elsie and bask in
              her friendship.

              Hunter & Sable
              On-Gwe-Ho-Way

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "James Yaworsky" <yawors1@...> wrote:

              > It is with great sadness that I must inform you of the passing of
              > Elsie Fisher, wife of Ken Fisher, Rodney Ontario, who was a long time
              > leader in our re-enacting community in Canada. Elsie passed away this
              > morning, Friday November 21, 2008 at her nursing home in Port Stanley,
              > Ontario.
            • glenn stott
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 22, 2008
                Dear List,
                The passing of Elsie Fisher truly is an end of an era. Elsie and Ken solely for the first few years of the Royal Scots, Light Company, not only provided us guidance, materials but also equipped our "novice" group as we struggled to portray a 1812 British Company. Their enthusiasm and encouragement throughout our foundation years was a tremendous influence upon each and every member. We sincerely wish her family and especially Ken our most sincere sympathy.

                Glenn Stott, Royal Scots, Light company

              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 22, 2008
                  It is always sad when we loose friend, the more so when they have contributed to interests which go far beyond mere acquaintanceship but deeply into our interests into which we pour so much of ourselves. Elsie might be gone from this life but her, and Ken's, work and the results of it go on and are enshrined in the physical presence of the units they were part of. We must always remember those who helped us get to where we are, and recognize our own duty to help others to go further than us.

                  For those of us who have the magnificent duty of command on the field it is what the hobby is all about, doing our best to make sure that the fine work of people like Elsie and Ken can be presented in the best possible way as a tribute both to them and the soldiers we commemorate.

                  Aye,

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 24, 2008
                    Sincere sympathy to Ken on the passing of his wife Elsie Fisher.

                    She has been a part of our hobby and time period for as long as
                    I can remember.

                    She will be missed – remember the good times.

                    Mr. Deans please pass my sympathy message to Ken for me.

                    Yrs.,
                    Larry Lozon ~ AdC
                    Crown Forces North America

                    "Blessed are they that morn for they shall be comforted" Matt V. 5
                  • bmitcheca
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 26, 2008
                      Please pass on our condolences to Ken. Like most re-enactors, we had
                      many delightful experiences with Ken & Elsie over the years. The
                      first new tent for us was a wedge for our daughter. A couple of years
                      later, our wall tent was made and both tents still stand the test of
                      time and hold many memories for us.

                      With sad regards, Beth and Gord Mitchell (I.M.U.C.)

                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 1, 2008
                        It has been too many years since I was able to travel east and north for any of the events, but I always remembered Elsie as a bright point of those events I attended.
                        I am saddened to have not been able to see her at least one last time.

                        Flowers of the Forest.

                        93rd SHRoFLHU
                        THE Thin Red Line
                        www.93rdhighlanders.com