Re: 1812 Re: If the Battle of New Orleans had turned out differently

  • Jim & JoAnn Gallen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2012
      Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion. I think that the thread that is developing is that the proof of British intentions, at least at the end of the war, was their actions. The idea that, after the defeat of Napoleon, the British could have overwhelmed the U.S. had they wanted to is probably true. Even if they had not occupied the whole country, continued pressure might well have enticed some sections, primarily New England and some western territories, to seek readmission to British North America. The fact that they did not continue the war is a good indication that they did not want to. As for the comments about the history taught to Americans, I find it to be deficient in many ways. President Reagan warned us about that. It is for us who are interested in history, the re-enactors, the teachers, the blogers and just the talkers, to educate those willing to listen. Let the dialog continue.

      Jim Gallen