My list of Reenactor groups

  • alastair.sweeny
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2012
      http://www.alastairsweeny.com/1812/index.php/Web_Resources_-_Reenactors_and_Living_History

      [linked checked by Moderator & it appears OK - Jim Yaworsky]
    • James Yaworsky
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2012
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "alastair.sweeny" wrote:

        > http://www.alastairsweeny.com/1812/index.php/Web_Resources_-_Reenactors_and_Living_History

        I've now had several messages off-list from people complaining that their unit is not on "my" list.

        I checked the link to the 41st Regiment, which took me to the Fort Erie website, then via a hotlink on its 41st page to an obsolete web address of the 41st, then by clicking on our "forwarding" link, to our actual website. Not the most efficient way to find us!

        I wanted to make it clear that:
        1) links such as Alastair's that are posted to this group are not necessarily affiliated with this group. If you have a problem or comment about the content, it should be addressed directly to the website's owner, in this case, Alastair.

        2) the footer of individual email messages that are sent out refers to the lists at tripod.com for both British and American units. These lists are also not owned or maintained by myself or the other moderators of this group. But since both these lists are maintained by the official command structures for each nationality, I would advise groups to keep their contact info etc. up to date on said lists. They are as close to "official" lists as we have in the land of 1812...

        There have been a number of websites springing up and announcing themselves to the rest of us, which is natural given the hoopla over the Bicentennial.

        The question then becomes: how many "1812" websites do we actually need? Are any of these new websites actually addressing any real needs of anybody that the existing resources don't already cover? In the case of unit listings, it seems not...

        In fact, it seems to me that when the information on such websites is not carefully compiled, they can actually be counter-productive to the advancement of the interests of the War of 1812 community. This can be by lacking information, or even posting "mis-information".

        Of course, "it's a free country"... so we're going to have to cope with the fallout, both good and bad, arising from the existence of these enthusiastic if not always totally well-informed new entities.

        Jim Yaworsky
        Moderator
      • alastair.sweeny
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2012
          Thanks Jim.

          I have already received three suggestions from the group and added them. The main reason for doing this is as a public service, because there is no central place where the public, students and the media can get links and information. Reinactors rule, in that they know more than anybody about the nitty gritty about the war, its actors and its battles.

          Part two is a collaborative wiki I am just now setting up with UELAC and Dundurn Press, which lets any group hosting events to post dates and details (and if they want, images, videos and google maps). I appreciate any feedback you can give. Sample month:

          http://www.warof1812online.com/eventcentral/index.php/2012_-_May

          It's password protected, and open to people who want to post their events.

          Alastair Sweeny

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "James Yaworsky" <yawors1@...> wrote:

          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "alastair.sweeny" wrote:
          > >
          > > http://www.alastairsweeny.com/1812/index.php/Web_Resources_-_Reenactors_and_Living_History
          >

          > I've now had several messages off-list from people complaining that their unit is not on "my" list. [snip]
        • larrylozon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 19, 2012
            Mr. Sweeny

            Visit

            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            they are a public service telling of Crown and US Units, their commander and how to get in touch with them.

            Yrs.,
            Larry Lozon ~ AdC
            Crown Forces North America