São Salvador, San Salvador, Salvador a name queery

  • westhouse03
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2012
      When Constitution engaged Java it was stated by Americans that they were off the coast of St. Salvador.

      Today the location is called Salvador.

      In Spanish it was São Salvador, in English San Salvador. In American War of 1812 accounts it is referred to as St. Salvador.

      Why all the variations? When did it change to its current shortened name. The original name of course is quite long. Historic name: Cidade de São Salvador da Bahia de Todos os Santos.

      I have seen it written so many different ways. Did it depend on which nation was stating the location?

      What should be the correct name to be used in writing of a paper about the battles at the time of our war at that location? Today's, Salvador, or the name it was known for in 1812 and then which one?

      Dave Westhouse.