Re: 1812 Resources for Battle of the Miami/ Henry Procter

  • artillerist1813
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2012
      >On another note, and speaking as one of the moderators of the list, >please note,
      >"artillerist", that it is list policy for posters to give their name.

      Sorry, I will include my name under my posts hereafter.

      Peter, I was able to access the same embarkation return from other sources, though I will be sure to check out the London Gazette link you provided. It appears to confirm those numbers (probably because it was the same document). I'd like to find rolls which identify which officers were in charge of which companies, since cross-referencing these with after-action reports may identify which companies were in the actions.

      I've been able to access documents in Michigan Historical Collections vol. 5 (http://www.archive.org/details/michiganhistoric151890mich) as well as Cruikshank's Documentary History of the Campaign on the Niagara Frontier vol. 5 (http://www.archive.org/details/dochistcampniagra05cruirich) which give a somewhat clearer view of Procter's strategy: basically, to destroy the Americans in detail before they could mass and destroy him.

      >Henry Procter didn't report to superiors "in" the Right Division, as >he
      >commanded it. At the relevant time, the Niagara region was the >"Center
      >Division". It was only after Moraviantown and the destruction of the >original
      >"right division" that the Center Division was renamed and became the >"right
      >division" of the 1814 campaign.

      I am still confused about the high command in Upper Canada: I thought that Sheaffe succeeded Brock in command of Upper Canada (the entire frontier upstream of the St. Lawrence being the "Right Division") until June 1813 when Prevost's orders definitely established Procter as commander of the Right Division, and the Niagara Frontier as the Center Division (which became the Right Division again after the former's destruction at Moraviantown). To muddy the waters even more, it seems that Brig. Gen. John Vincent was sent down to replace Sheaffe during an illness in Feb 1813-- then remained at Fort George. So if Vincent was commanding most of Sheaffe's troops, was Sheaffe both the overall commander of Center Division and the local commander at York and eastwardly posts? Or is this a moot question, since Procter reported directly to Prevost?

      Dan Wilkens