Re: 1812 Re: Jacob Wideman?

  • lee@simonson.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
      Art -

      Thank you -- yes, Jacob was Ludwig's younger brother.
      Jacob was born in 1787 (not 1757 as I mistakenly wrote earlier.)
      Jacob is my wife's g-g-g-grandfather.

      The only info we have on Jacob was that he was a private
      in Capt. Robinson's Rifle Company, attached to the 1st
      Regt of the York Militia, from Nov. 25 to Dec. 24, 1812.

      Here is a fascinating little detail:

      Jacob was a witness against an Andrew Patterson, who was
      charged with sedition against the Crown.

      Mr. Patterson was "an ill-designing and seditious person and
      greatly disaffected to the Government of our said Lord the King
      and of this Province of Upper Canada, (and) on the first day of June
      in the said fifty-third year of the reign of our Lord the King at the
      Township of Whitchurch in said district, in the presence of good
      subjects of our Lord the King, did pull off his hat and hurra for
      the United States, enemies of our Lord the King, and wished them
      success, and did then and there cry out,
      "Huzza to the United States for their great success in taking Fort
      George!" ... and did then and there openly and loudly in presence
      and hearing of subjects of our Lord the King, express great joy at the
      success of the enemies of our Lord the King.

      Mr. Patterson was found guilty. (Cruikshank's Documentary
      History of the Niagara Frontier)

      Jacob later moved to Ohio in 1826 and became a "most respected
      citizen" of the United States.

      Just a little slice of life -- one of countless 1812 stories of the early
      settlers on both sides of the border.

      Lee Simonson

      P.S. You can see Ludwig's gravestone at Dickson Hill Cemetery
      here: http://bit.ly/Aabu1v I believe his father Philip and
      mother Sarah are in the same plot. There is another Jacob
      Wideman in the cemetery, but the not the same person
      we've been discussing.