January 3, 1815, New Orleans

  • ONeil
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
      Gen. Andrew Jackson has assembled the most heterogeneous army in the history of the US. Men from nearly all eighteen states, French and Spanish Creoles, German and Irish immigrants, Acadians, free-men of color, pirates, American backwoodsmen, Chickasaw, Choctaw and Attakapas braves. He will gather 4,000 men at the Rodriguez Canal while Gen. Pakenham awaits his remaining troops. The British will have 14,000 combatants, battle-hardened regiments-of-foot, fusiliers, highlanders, a rifle corps, rocket corps, Royal Artillerymen, as well as Royal Marines and seamen from the fleet. Choctaws report the British are digging a canal to extending Bayou Villeré.
      from BATTLE KISS, Part 3, "The Battle of New Orleans" by O'Neil De Noux
      http://www.oneildenoux.net/dx/BATTLE_KISS.html
    • usmarine1814
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
        Jackson even had US Navy Sailors, US Army Soldiers and United States Marines

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ONeil" <denoux3124@...> wrote:

        > Gen. Andrew Jackson has assembled the most heterogeneous army in the history of the US. Men from nearly all eighteen states, French and Spanish Creoles, German and Irish immigrants, Acadians, free-men of color, pirates, American backwoodsmen, Chickasaw, Choctaw and Attakapas braves. He will gather 4,000 men at the Rodriguez Canal while Gen. Pakenham awaits his remaining troops. The British will have 14,000 combatants, battle-hardened regiments-of-foot, fusiliers, highlanders, a rifle corps, rocket corps, Royal Artillerymen, as well as Royal Marines and seamen from the fleet. Choctaws report the British are digging a canal to extending Bayou Villeré.
        > from BATTLE KISS, Part 3, "The Battle of New Orleans" by O'Neil De Noux
        > http://www.oneildenoux.net/dx/BATTLE_KISS.html

      • Michael Mathews
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
          Nah, he just used chicory drinkin', tobacco chewin' good 'ol boys to best the
          big red machine.  Isn't that what the songs and movies tell us?

          Seriously, I don't think there is any intent to slight the regulars, who drew
          from the 18 states and diverse backgrounds to fill the ranks.  My guess is they
          are just pointing out the varied mass/mess of men that Jackson turned into an
          army.  By sheer force of will in some cases.  A less dynamic general wouldn't
          have been able to hold it together IMHO.

          Michael

          No act of kindness, however small is ever wasted. -- Aesop