Jacob Wideman?

  • lee@simonson.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
      Dear Friends -

      Any information regarding a Jacob Wideman (1757-1855),
      from Markham, who fought for the British in the War of 1812,
      is much appreciated.

      Thank you. And Happy New Year to all! The Bicentennial is here!

      Lee Simonson
      716-754-8414
    • Art Neilands
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
        Not sure about Jacob but Ludwig Wideman (1781-1837) was a Lieutenant with the British during the war of 1812 and died as a result of his involvement in the rebellion of 1837. He farmed at Ringwood ( between Markham and Whitchurch Townships) and is buried in the Dickson (Dixion)Hill cemetery south of Stouffville.

        Not sure if that helps or not.

      • lee@simonson.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
          Art -

          Thank you -- yes, Jacob was Ludwig's younger brother.
          Jacob was born in 1787 (not 1757 as I mistakenly wrote earlier.)
          Jacob is my wife's g-g-g-grandfather.

          The only info we have on Jacob was that he was a private
          in Capt. Robinson's Rifle Company, attached to the 1st
          Regt of the York Militia, from Nov. 25 to Dec. 24, 1812.

          Here is a fascinating little detail:

          Jacob was a witness against an Andrew Patterson, who was
          charged with sedition against the Crown.

          Mr. Patterson was "an ill-designing and seditious person and
          greatly disaffected to the Government of our said Lord the King
          and of this Province of Upper Canada, (and) on the first day of June
          in the said fifty-third year of the reign of our Lord the King at the
          Township of Whitchurch in said district, in the presence of good
          subjects of our Lord the King, did pull off his hat and hurra for
          the United States, enemies of our Lord the King, and wished them
          success, and did then and there cry out,
          "Huzza to the United States for their great success in taking Fort
          George!" ... and did then and there openly and loudly in presence
          and hearing of subjects of our Lord the King, express great joy at the
          success of the enemies of our Lord the King.

          Mr. Patterson was found guilty. (Cruikshank's Documentary
          History of the Niagara Frontier)

          Jacob later moved to Ohio in 1826 and became a "most respected
          citizen" of the United States.

          Just a little slice of life -- one of countless 1812 stories of the early
          settlers on both sides of the border.

          Lee Simonson

          P.S. You can see Ludwig's gravestone at Dickson Hill Cemetery
          here: http://bit.ly/Aabu1v I believe his father Philip and
          mother Sarah are in the same plot. There is another Jacob
          Wideman in the cemetery, but the not the same person
          we've been discussing.