December 28, 1814, New Orleans

  • ONeil
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2011
      Reconnaissance-in-Force. At dawn, the British advance in two columns, one at the river, one near the swamp. The Americans stand behind the partially-constructed rampart behind the small Rodriguez Canal. The British have twice their number. Cannons fire on both sides as USS Louisiana swoops down to fire on the advancing British. The line staggers from American artillery. At the swamp's edge the British are at the gates, almost flanking the American line. At the critical moment, Gen. Pakenham calls a retreat as his companies are decimated by cannon fire. He's learned a hard lesson, artillery wins battles and the American cannoneers, especially the Baratarians, are lethal.
      from BATTLE KISS, Part 3, "The Battle of New Orleans" by O'Neil De Noux http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Kiss-New-Orleans/dp/1466499052
    • usmarine1814
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
        Was not the Battle of the 28th a night battle? Started By the Louisiana as she snuck down the river disguised by darkness and the probability of her being just a trade vessel? She then opened on the British camp, directing her fire by the Brits' campfires. This was then followed by a two column assault by Jackson. A confusing fight ensued. The MArines supported the two American guns that were in action along the levee. I did not think those guns were under the command of the Barritarians. Either way I believe both forces disengaged because of the confusion.

        C Murphy
        USS CON 1812 MG
        USMCHC

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ONeil" <denoux3124@...> wrote:

        > Reconnaissance-in-Force. At dawn, the British advance in two columns, one at the river, one near the swamp. The Americans stand behind the partially-constructed rampart behind the small Rodriguez Canal. The British have twice their number. Cannons fire on both sides as USS Louisiana swoops down to fire on the advancing British. The line staggers from American artillery. At the swamp's edge the British are at the gates, almost flanking the American line. At the critical moment, Gen. Pakenham calls a retreat as his companies are decimated by cannon fire. He's learned a hard lesson, artillery wins battles and the American cannoneers, especially the Baratarians, are lethal.
        > from BATTLE KISS, Part 3, "The Battle of New Orleans" by O'Neil De Noux http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Kiss-New-Orleans/dp/1466499052

      • Michael Mathews
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
          The night action was on the 23rd.  Very much a confused affair.  I recall that
          Plauché (whose battalion of uniformed militia was included in the attack)
          claimed afterwards that he wanted to lead a bayonet charge with his French and
          Irish that would "have compelled the lot to lay down their arms" but was denied
          permission because of the already present danger of friendly fire.  Naturally a
          night action distorts ones perspective and leads to exaggerated claims.

          The action on the 28th was indeed a recon-in-force by the British.

          Best,
          Michael

          No act of kindness, however small is ever wasted. -- Aesop

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
            Yikes and Yes!!! I stand corrected. Geez, I should (do) know that! Not very sharp in these early days of the new year. Hopefully my mind clears like the morning fog over the plains of Chalmette. Thank You
            C. Murphy
            USS CON 1812 MG
            USMCHC