Re: Stoney Creek

  • Sioux
    Message 1 of 90 , Dec 15, 2011
      Seems ironic, doesn't it?

      In point of fact, the entire area that's been "reconstructed" was thoroughly gone over by an archaeological team before the groundswork was done. Some of you may remember them being onsite during last year's event. Up where the rose gardens were (between the House and the Monument), they completely unexpectedly found the remains of a First Nations settlement dating to 1400AD. Thousands of artifacts, and a site completely untouched since it was abandoned 600 years ago. How cool is that?

      On more sombre note, the decision to stop allowing firepits at the Battlefield House had as much to do with irresponsible people who repeatedly left firepits open, and in several cases with large fires burning, when they pulled out on Sunday, several years running, as it had to do with archaeology. I know whereof I speak -- as the last person onsite one year, I put out four fires, one of which had flames a good three feet high -- in the pouring rain. Seriously not cool.:S

      -- Sioux

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "westhouse03" <westhouse@...> wrote:

      > Hmmm. After all those years of NOT being able to DIG a firepit and they go and REALLY DIG UP the ground? Hmmmm.
      >
      > :)
      >
      > Dave.

    • Craig Williams
      Message 90 of 90 , Apr 13 7:42 PM
        Hey there everyone!

        It's that time again. Stoney Creek is coming on June 6th and 7th.
        Registration is up on the Stoney Creek website,   http://www.battlefieldhouse.ca/reenactors.asp   .

        Battlefield House is holding their customary "History in Action" day on Thursday (no school on Friday) and would like to have some re-enactors to help.
        If you're able to help please contact Susan Ramsey.

        There will be the customary battles and entertainment and there will also be the Cast-Iron cook off on Saturday with prize money going to the winner and on Sunday the Musket fire Eliminator with a powder and flint prize!

        Please register at your earliest convenience!

        See you there,

        Craig Williams