RE: 1812 Proposed King George's Battery

  • Adrian Rittner
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2011
      David,

      I live in Pelham and know the area very well. It is basically in the area
      locals call the Short Hills (North Pelham). There is a conservation park
      that could be the original crown lands. After the war, talks started about
      securing a position above the escarpment to defend the Niagara corridor.
      Several plans were drafted and proposed over the years, but nothing was ever
      built, that I know of. Basically a fifty year period where nothing really
      happened at this spot with the purchase of the lands as the exception. I am
      sure the concept of defending the new Welland canal often came into play
      too, as the reliance on the Portage Road and the Niagara River would be
      abandoned over time. Although nothing happened in the area during the
      American War, the spot was chosen for its elevation and vantage over the
      region. It was to be a very big Fortress, unlike the local fortifications
      that previously existed along the Niagara River. During the Upper Canada
      Rebellion a small skirmish took place here and a federal plaque stands at
      the southwest edge of the conservation park off Hollow Rd. I never heard of
      it being referred to King Georges Battery though, interesting. Attached is a
      drawing of the proposed Fortress dated 1827. One of many concepts I believe.

      Adrian Rittner
    • Adrian Rittner
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2011
        Not sure if my attachments came through the email. But here is the link to
        Brock University where I found the maps.

        http://www.brocku.ca/maplibrary/digital/1812zoom/MAPhome.php

        Look for maps of:

        Plan No. 1. Part of Shorthills

        Plan No. 3. Part of Shorthills

        There are some other interesting maps here as well.

        Adrian Rittner

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 14, 2011
          Thanks Adrian: this is exactly what I was looking for, the attachments did not come through the email. I will now be able to pinpoint the exact site when I go out to visit the area. Too bad this battery/fort wasn't built, It might have been the Niagara regions own Fort Henry!

          David