Uniform of the 39th US Infantry in 1813/1814

  • nactorman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2011
      I am looking for information on the uniform worn by the 39th US Infantry during the winter of 1813 and spring of 1814. I have Chartrands books as well as several other War of 1812 uniform reference works, but none contain specific info for the 39th. Mainly interested in what pattern coatee, trousers, shako, etc they were issued. Any info would be appreciated.
      Charles
    • awhitelion2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2011
        Do you have Frederiksen's book? He cites several sources for the 39th [not necessarily in regard to clothing]. You may need to make a trip to the National Archives in DC and try your luck there. Commisary General of Purchases Papers, I would think , and as well, the various locations of Callender Irvine Papers that Frederiksen references. You could probably make some educated guesses if you could find out about when the regt was recruited to the point where they would need uniforms as to whether their initial issue would have been what Kochan calls the Feb 1813 uniform with the red collar [laced] and cuffs, or whether they would have received the all blue coatee for a first issue. I got the impression from Kochan's and Chartrand's books that the leather caps were first issued to the troops along the NY frontier and that other regiments probably had the felt hats until 1814. That's a lot of guessing, which I don't like, but it looks like travel if you want to try to find the answers, and even then there's no guarantee the records will spell out the details! Good luck! Tom Dunbar

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "nactorman" <nactorman@...> wrote:

        > I am looking for information on the uniform worn by the 39th US Infantry during the winter of 1813 and spring of 1814. I have Chartrands books as well as several other War of 1812 uniform reference works, but none contain specific info for the 39th. Mainly interested in what pattern coatee, trousers, shako, etc they were issued. Any info would be appreciated.
        > Charles

      • awhitelion2000
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2012
          Found in the National Archives in RG 92, Entry 2118 an order dated Sept 20, 1813 to the Military Storekeeper at Philadelphia to deliver to the QMG for shipment to Col John Williams , 39th Infantry at Nashville 200 leather infantry caps, 200 cloth gaiters [this would be the 1813 woolen 15 button style] and 200 Horsehide Knapsacks. 216 coats were a part of the order but were not described futher, as were 2040 woolen and 2040 linen "overalls".