RE: Need help on 1812 sailing tactics

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
      In my opinion, the best book on seamanship, including sailing instructions from "our" periods is Darcy Lever, "A Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor: A Key to Leading, Rigging, and to Practical Seamanship". It was originally published in 1808, and has been reprinted in 2000 by Algrove Press, Ottawa, Canada. My copy was distributed through Lee Valley, a Canadian chain of tool stores.It is exceptionally well illustrated and contains detailed descriptions on everything one wants to know about the subject.Yrs as everRay Hobbs

      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      From: diane_williams@...
      Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 08:41:11 -0800
      Subject: Re: Need help on 1812 sailing tactics

      I've got several of those books. Hard thing is to look up what I want to know in a novel.

      FYI, a superb book on the War of 1812 era, also filled with sailing terms and tactics, and written at that time is "Ned Meyers" by James Fenimore Cooper. You can download a free copy via the Gutenberg Project.

      ~~Diane