RE: 1812 Question about Queenston

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
      Iain, we did it 5 yrs back.
      The walk is about 12 km (7 1/2 miles) along roads, paths, and bike trails.
      The only thing that will hurt is the big hill at the end, but by then your
      numb anyway! I am not sure what is being arranged, but in 2007 there were
      vehicles to take us back to the fort.

      Kevin
      RNR

        ------------------------------------

        War of 1812 Living History:

        A wide-ranging information exchange

        for all participants and supporters

        Crown Forces Unit Listing:

        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Listing

        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:

        2010Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
          We would be using the bike path beside the parkway and the distance is
          about 11 km. We did this a few years ago with a large number of troops
          and it was a success.
          Getting back is one of the logistics we have to figure out once we
          have an idea of numbers.

          Craig Williams

          On 8-Dec-11, at 6:35 AM, Iain Burns wrote:

          > Hullo Craig... Could you tell us a bit more detail of the
          > march; how long are we talking, what kind of ground covered (road
          > march or forrest trails), and how do we get back? Thanks,Iain1st RS
          > Reg't, Centre Coy.
          > To: 1812CrownForces@yahoogroups.com
          > CC: 1812_ProgressiveCampaigner@yahoogroups.com; WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
          > From: sgtwarner@...
          > Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 23:08:45 -0500
          > Subject: 1812 Question about Queenston

          > Hey folks,
          >

          > At a planning meeting for the Battle of Queenston Heights 2012 event
          >
          > today, there was discussion about the march from Fort George to the
          >
          > heights.
          >
          > What we're looking for is numbers. How many of the British troops are
          >
          > interested in making the march on October 13th. The march would take
          >
          > place in the morning with a break to rest and have lunch before the
          >
          > afternoon battle.
          >
          > If unit commanders could kindly do a quick poll of their unit and then
          >
          > send me a rough idea of numbers interested at my eddress
          >
          > sgtwarner(at)sympatico.ca it would be much appreciated. We're trying
          >
          > to get our ducks in a row earlier rather than later.
          >

          > Thanking you in advance,
          >

          > Craig Williams

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > War of 1812 Living History:
          > A wide-ranging information exchange
          > for all participants and supporters

          > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
          > American Forces Unit Listing
          > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
          >
          > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
          > 2010Yahoo! Groups Links

        • tom4141fournier
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 9, 2011
            It was an outstanding experience! It is a good thing we have such great organizers involved, I am sure the weather will be every bit as nice in 2012 as it was in 2007!