Question about Queenston

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2011
      Hey folks,

      At a planning meeting for the Battle of Queenston Heights 2012 event
      today, there was discussion about the march from Fort George to the
      heights.
      What we're looking for is numbers. How many of the British troops are
      interested in making the march on October 13th. The march would take
      place in the morning with a break to rest and have lunch before the
      afternoon battle.
      If unit commanders could kindly do a quick poll of their unit and then
      send me a rough idea of numbers interested at my eddress
      sgtwarner(at)sympatico.ca it would be much appreciated. We're trying
      to get our ducks in a row earlier rather than later.

      Thanking you in advance,

      Craig Williams
    • Iain Burns
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
        Hullo Craig... Could you tell us a bit more detail of the march; how long are we talking, what kind of ground covered (road march or forrest trails), and how do we get back? Thanks,Iain1st RS Reg't, Centre Coy.
        To: 1812CrownForces@yahoogroups.com
        CC: 1812_ProgressiveCampaigner@yahoogroups.com; WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
          Iain, we did it 5 yrs back.
          The walk is about 12 km (7 1/2 miles) along roads, paths, and bike trails.
          The only thing that will hurt is the big hill at the end, but by then your
          numb anyway! I am not sure what is being arranged, but in 2007 there were
          vehicles to take us back to the fort.

          Kevin
          RNR

[...]

          ------------------------------------

          War of 1812 Living History:
          A wide-ranging information exchange
          for all participants and supporters

          Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
          American Forces Unit Listing
          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

          WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
          2010Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Iain Burns

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
              We would be using the bike path beside the parkway and the distance is
              about 11 km. We did this a few years ago with a large number of troops
              and it was a success.
              Getting back is one of the logistics we have to figure out once we
              have an idea of numbers.

              Craig Williams

              On 8-Dec-11, at 6:35 AM, Iain Burns wrote:

              > Hullo Craig... Could you tell us a bit more detail of the
              > march; how long are we talking, what kind of ground covered (road
              > march or forrest trails), and how do we get back? Thanks,Iain1st RS
              > Reg't, Centre Coy.
              > To: 1812CrownForces@yahoogroups.com
              > CC: 1812_ProgressiveCampaigner@yahoogroups.com; WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
              > From: sgtwarner@...
              > Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 23:08:45 -0500
              > Subject: 1812 Question about Queenston

              > Hey folks,
              >

              > At a planning meeting for the Battle of Queenston Heights 2012 event
              >
              > today, there was discussion about the march from Fort George to the
              >
              > heights.
              >
              > What we're looking for is numbers. How many of the British troops are
              >
              > interested in making the march on October 13th. The march would take
              >
              > place in the morning with a break to rest and have lunch before the
              >
              > afternoon battle.
              >
              > If unit commanders could kindly do a quick poll of their unit and then
              >
              > send me a rough idea of numbers interested at my eddress
              >
              > sgtwarner(at)sympatico.ca it would be much appreciated. We're trying
              >
              > to get our ducks in a row earlier rather than later.
              >

              > Thanking you in advance,
              >

              > Craig Williams

              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > War of 1812 Living History:
              > A wide-ranging information exchange
              > for all participants and supporters

              > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
              > American Forces Unit Listing
              > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
              >
              > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
              > 2010Yahoo! Groups Links

            • tom4141fournier
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 9, 2011
                It was an outstanding experience! It is a good thing we have such great organizers involved, I am sure the weather will be every bit as nice in 2012 as it was in 2007!