Need help on 1812 sailing tactics

  • Diane Williams
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2011
      I'm writing a screenplay about my War of 1812 American privateer ancestor and I need some help with describing some sailing tactics he'd use in a sea battle vs. the Royal Navy. Does anyone know of someone I could talk with about that? In all but one cases, he got away. But the RN complimented him on his "superior sailing skills" the one time he was captured.

      Thanks!

      ~~Diane

    • Colonel
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 7, 2011
        If you were to read any of the Alexander Kent novels about the adventures of Naval Officer Richard Bolitho (fiction - similar to the Hornblower saga) you would have a wealth of naval tactics information.
        The books are extremely well researched and accurate in their naratives of naval warfare during that period. Check with Amazon.com as these were first published in the 70's and 80's, although newer publications came out later.

        Tom

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Diane Williams <diane_williams@...> wrote:

        > I'm writing a screenplay about my War of 1812 American privateer ancestor and I need some help with describing some sailing tactics he'd use in a sea battle vs. the Royal Navy. Does anyone know of someone I could talk with about that? In all but one cases, he got away. But the RN complimented him on his "superior sailing skills" the one time he was captured.
        >

        > Thanks!
        >

        > ~~Diane

      • peter monahan
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 2011
          Alexander Kent's books are still in many public linbraries. If you want the full meal deal, however, try the first half dozen Aubrey novels by Patrick O'Brien. His research is impecable and as Captain 'Lucky Jack's surgeon, Steven Maturin is a complete boob when it comes to nautical terms, they get a very good airing, as Aubrey and the crew try to explain how a 'brig' differs from a 'snow', a 'hoy' or a frigate and which is larboard and which starboard! [No 'port', except in the mess. That term came along later.] Good luck with the research. I'm sure one of then many nautical seamen on this list could be persuaded to proof your work for 'clankers'. :)

          Peter Monahan
        • charliequ2@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
            That's because we surgeons are focused on other things than "ropes" and such.. :)

            From: peter monahan <petemonahan@...>
            [snip] as Captain 'Lucky Jack's surgeon, Steven Maturin is a complete boob when it comes to nautical terms, [snip]
          • charliequ2@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
              It was a brilliant way to discuss/educate the reader though, and was similarly used to explain med/surg issues.

              From: peter monahan <petemonahan@...>
              [snip] as Captain 'Lucky Jack's surgeon, Steven Maturin is a complete boob when it comes to nautical terms, they get a very good airing, as Aubrey and the crew try to explain [stuff]
            • Diane Williams
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
                I've got several of those books. Hard thing is to look up what I want to know in a novel.

                FYI, a superb book on the War of 1812 era, also filled with sailing terms and tactics, and written at that time is "Ned Meyers" by James Fenimore Cooper. You can download a free copy via the Gutenberg Project.

                ~~Diane
              • Ray Hobbs
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
                  In my opinion, the best book on seamanship, including sailing instructions from "our" periods is Darcy Lever, "A Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor: A Key to Leading, Rigging, and to Practical Seamanship". It was originally published in 1808, and has been reprinted in 2000 by Algrove Press, Ottawa, Canada. My copy was distributed through Lee Valley, a Canadian chain of tool stores.It is exceptionally well illustrated and contains detailed descriptions on everything one wants to know about the subject.Yrs as everRay Hobbs

                  To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                  From: diane_williams@...
                  Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 08:41:11 -0800
                  Subject: Re: Need help on 1812 sailing tactics