War of 1812 - Graveside Recognition Program

  • David Brunelle
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2011
      Hi Everyone,

      Just to inform the rest of the re-enacting world of the Graveside
      Recognition Program that we are initiating for the bicentennial. The first
      in a large series of plaques will be placed June of 2012. James Keating
      R.A. will be the first recipient of the plaque who was a decorated artillery
      man during the war and became fort adjutant at Penetanguishene some years
      later. He is a founding father of the community of Penetanguishene who
      helped develop the education system in our area as well as captain of the
      local militia during the 1830's. He also has a school in town named after
      him as well.

      Anyone who would like to join the program and honour vets in your community
      is encouraged to contact me anytime. More information on the program is
      located below.

      Our project is a Graveside Recognition Program for veterans of the War of
      1812. the objective of the program is to identify, locate and honour the
      gravesites of veterans of the War of 1812 - our country's founders. All
      other Canadian veterans are identified in some way, with either distinctive
      headstones in cemeteries around the world, or with flag day ceremonies by
      local Legions, but no such honour is accorded veterans of the War of 1812.

      In 1813 an Upper Canada Preserved medal was cast to be given to 1812
      veterans, it is inscribed with the words "From a Grateful Country", they
      never received them, our intent is to place a permanent plaque with that
      medal and appropriate identification at the gravesite. And a larger plaque
      on the Church or Cemetery fence to point out that War of 1812 veterans are
      at rest in these places. It is fitting that we use a medal that is 200 years
      old to honour the veterans during our Bicentennial.

      With land grants and settlement, the veterans settled and developed much of
      Ontario and Eastern Canada, with the result that they are buried in
      communities through the province. By recognizing their graves, communities
      that have no other link to the War of 1812 Bicentennial will become involved
      in the commemoration. the program helps create an awareness in these
      communities that may not realize they have a War of 1812 veteran buried in
      their midst.

      All seven Bicentennial committees through the province of Ontario have
      expressed their willingness to be part of the project, so the Graveside
      project is Ontario wide presently, and could be national in scope once it is
      underway.

      With just preliminary research, over 300 veterans graves have been found and
      identified in Ontario to date.

      At the outset, the seven Provincial committees will take the lead to place
      the plaques at the grave sites and hold public and press receptions to bring
      the news to their communities.

      During and following the bicentennial, this becomes a legacy project with
      Elementary schools taking on the role of researching and identifying
      veterans in their region, much like they do for WW1 and WW2 presently.
      Heritage committees, and Historic Societies will also be encouraged to
      locate and honour a War of 1812 veteran during and following the
      Bicentennial.

      The plaques will be bilingual, and will honour the sacrifice of French,
      First Nations, Metis, British, Canadian and African Americans that fought
      together to preserve the country. Regular soldiers, militia, farmers,
      settlers and merchants, voyageurs, first nations, all will be located and
      honoured.

      The program will celebrate the sacrifice made by diverse cultures that
      banded together to oppose a common foe, and to sow the seeds of nationhood.

      Our request for funding is to kick-start the program by ordering 1000
      graveside plaques and 100 church or cemetery fence plaques. Following the
      bicentennial schools classes, heritage committees, historic groups, legions
      and history buffs will be encouraged to fund raise to order and place a
      plaque at the gravesite they identify in their communities.

      With this program, we hope to create a lasting legacy of remembrance of our
      War of 1812 veterans and their sacrifice with a single and identifiable
      plaque, to encourage ongoing research into the time period, and create an
      awareness of the legacy left to us by the veterans of 1812.

      David J. Brunelle, OCT

      Project Director

      Southern Georgian Bay

      War of 1812 Bicentennial Committee

      705-716-7124

      www.1812bicentennial.com

      SGB Logo English.jpg

    • Art Neilands
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2011
        Hi Dave' Sounds like a great idea, with my proximity to the town of Goderich I'm wondering what would be involved with getting a plaque for the tomb of William "Tiger" Dunlop? I beleive as well as being an 1812 vet. being present at both Chryslers Farm and Lundy's Lane he surveyed the Penatang rd.?

        I approached the Huron County museum curator earlier in the summer and asked if they were interested in any 1812 bicent. events but was plainly told as the war pre-dated the founding of Goderich they really weren't that interested.

        In regards to a plaque, would it be adviseable to try and work through the local historical society? I'm more then willing to work on this by myself as I feel its a worthwhile thing to do in honouring those who sacrificed so much as is the case in many conflicts.

        Thanks for any help,

        Gerry "Art" Neilands

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2011
          I'm writing a screenplay about my War of 1812 American privateer ancestor and I need some help with describing some sailing tactics he'd use in a sea battle vs. the Royal Navy. Does anyone know of someone I could talk with about that? In all but one cases, he got away. But the RN complimented him on his "superior sailing skills" the one time he was captured.

          Thanks!

          ~~Diane

        • Colonel
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 7, 2011
            If you were to read any of the Alexander Kent novels about the adventures of Naval Officer Richard Bolitho (fiction - similar to the Hornblower saga) you would have a wealth of naval tactics information.
            The books are extremely well researched and accurate in their naratives of naval warfare during that period. Check with Amazon.com as these were first published in the 70's and 80's, although newer publications came out later.

            Tom

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Diane Williams <diane_williams@...> wrote:

            > I'm writing a screenplay about my War of 1812 American privateer ancestor and I need some help with describing some sailing tactics he'd use in a sea battle vs. the Royal Navy. Does anyone know of someone I could talk with about that? In all but one cases, he got away. But the RN complimented him on his "superior sailing skills" the one time he was captured.
            >

            > Thanks!
            >

            > ~~Diane

          • peter monahan
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 7, 2011
              Alexander Kent's books are still in many public linbraries. If you want the full meal deal, however, try the first half dozen Aubrey novels by Patrick O'Brien. His research is impecable and as Captain 'Lucky Jack's surgeon, Steven Maturin is a complete boob when it comes to nautical terms, they get a very good airing, as Aubrey and the crew try to explain how a 'brig' differs from a 'snow', a 'hoy' or a frigate and which is larboard and which starboard! [No 'port', except in the mess. That term came along later.] Good luck with the research. I'm sure one of then many nautical seamen on this list could be persuaded to proof your work for 'clankers'. :)

              Peter Monahan
            • charliequ2@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
                That's because we surgeons are focused on other things than "ropes" and such.. :)

                From: peter monahan <petemonahan@...>
                [snip] as Captain 'Lucky Jack's surgeon, Steven Maturin is a complete boob when it comes to nautical terms, [snip]
              • charliequ2@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
                  It was a brilliant way to discuss/educate the reader though, and was similarly used to explain med/surg issues.

                  From: peter monahan <petemonahan@...>
                  [snip] as Captain 'Lucky Jack's surgeon, Steven Maturin is a complete boob when it comes to nautical terms, they get a very good airing, as Aubrey and the crew try to explain [stuff]
                • Diane Williams
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
                    I've got several of those books. Hard thing is to look up what I want to know in a novel.

                    FYI, a superb book on the War of 1812 era, also filled with sailing terms and tactics, and written at that time is "Ned Meyers" by James Fenimore Cooper. You can download a free copy via the Gutenberg Project.

                    ~~Diane
                  • Ray Hobbs
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
                      In my opinion, the best book on seamanship, including sailing instructions from "our" periods is Darcy Lever, "A Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor: A Key to Leading, Rigging, and to Practical Seamanship". It was originally published in 1808, and has been reprinted in 2000 by Algrove Press, Ottawa, Canada. My copy was distributed through Lee Valley, a Canadian chain of tool stores.It is exceptionally well illustrated and contains detailed descriptions on everything one wants to know about the subject.Yrs as everRay Hobbs

                      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                      From: diane_williams@...
                      Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 08:41:11 -0800
                      Subject: Re: Need help on 1812 sailing tactics