Re: [Bulk] 1812 passports

  • John Matthew IV
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2011
      Sutler Cyrus asked:

      > What sort of documentation as to proof of citizenship did people use back then? Did the people in Canada consider themselves > citizens of Canada or citizens of Britain? Did monarchies consider their populations to be citizens or subjects?

      I'll take the easy question.

      Until 1947, Canadians were subjects not citizens:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_nationality_law

      Canadiand didn't get passports until 1862:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_passport

      I'll defer to others but I doubt people had proof of being a British subject back then. It was simply assumed.

      John Matthew IV