Toronto Sun article 6 Nov 11

  • John-Paul Johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2011
      This made the Canadian Forces College's news reading list "Spotlight on Military News and International Affairs" (SOMNIA) this past weekend.

      From the Toronto Sun from Sunday 6 Nov 11.

      http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/06/feds-may-be-creating-re-enactor-hired-guns-historian-says

      ------------------------------------
      Feds may be creating re-enactor hired guns, historian says
      By Jessica Murphy ,Parliamentary Bureau
      First posted: Sunday, November 06, 2011 05:24 PM EST

      Is Ottawa creating squadrons of rent-a-regiment re-enactors by flooding Ontario and Quebec with funds for its War of 1812 bicentennial bash?

      That's what historian Gordon Terry fears.

      Federal funds are flowing to support more than 100 historical events in towns scattered throughout the two provinces - and Terry cautions the municipalities may have to sweeten the pot to entice overworked volunteer re-enactors to over to their camps.

      "What is not realized is it is a finite resource," he said, cautioning an influx of government cash could create a fiercely competitive market environment.
      "It's the same money but it competes with itself to buy, to outbid participation."

      It happened in 1812, Terry argued, when the British government offered a fee to volunteers to join militias. Regiments began outbidding each other with taxpayer cash to meet recruitment quotas, driving up the price.

      Now, the feds have earmarked $28 million for three years of 1812 celebrations, with a chunk going towards local events.

      Top billing goes to the re-enactment slated for Queenston Heights near Fort George National Park, where Sir Isaac Brock died in a battle with U.S. forces.
      But Richard Feltoe, commanding officer with the Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada re-enactment group, said they're getting invites to appear at everything from "dog-and-pony" shows to "street parades and whole scale battle re-enactments."

      "Literally every little burgh and community wants to commemorate their own little event," he said, singling out the tiny southern Ontario town of Grimsby.
      "Its only claim to fame in the entire part of the war was a very, very minor skirmish that took place in June of 1813," he said. "It lasted for an hour or two in one day. But this is being referred to by the city of Grimsby as 'The Battle of the Forty'."

      Feltoe conceded that there are "definitely" groups taking advantage of towns trying to entice them to commemorations by offering cash or other bonuses - but cities really just need to show a little hospitality if they want to interest re-enactors.

      And despite the demands, Feltoe said most committed re-enactors are looking forward to the packed schedule that will kick off next year and last until 1815.
      "We're prepared for the onslaught," he said. "We're ready to go and keen to do it too."
    • shayna121
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2011
        I think someone read Robert Henderson's article on the same topic...

        Chris McKay