Re: 1812 .69 Calibre Musket Balls

  • Frank Sgromolo
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
      Ron,

      I get mine from�Track of the Wolf www.trackofthewolf.com� Part number: �BALL-690-X

      I haven't ordered in a couple years but when I did they came in packs of 25 for $9.95 plus shipping (shipping at the time was $13.75 for 3 packs (75 balls)

      Hope this helps.

      Frank Sgromolo
      Chesapeake, VA.
      Historical�Leatherworker - Colonial Leather Works

      ________________________________
      From: rjdwarnock <ronaldjdale@...>

      Hello List,

      I need to get a hold of about 20 US musket balls for some live firing.
      [snip]
    • Andrew Bateman
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
        Try Shooter's Choice in Waterloo.

        Andrew B., 41st

        On 11/3/2011 11:46 PM, rjdwarnock wrote:
        > Hello List,
        >
        > I need to get a hold of about 20 US musket balls for some live firing.
      • usmarine1814
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
          This is from my understanding of records, documents and archaeological finds, but I may well be wrong.

          That being said, I believe US musket balls were roughly .65 cal (give or take a .002, .003 or .004) and the rounds for .75 Cal weapons were .69 (give or take as well). SO if doing a study on wounds from a .69 cal musket the .65 cal balls are the ones to use.

          Just Saying...May be wrong.. but I think I am right (and thats all that counts to me :)

          YHOS
          C. Murphy
          USS CON 1812 MG
          USMCHC

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "rjdwarnock" <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

          > Hello List,
          >
          > I need to get a hold of about 20 US musket balls for some live firing.
          > This is to help a McMaster University forensic pathologist who is studying wounds on human remains recovered at the Battlefield of Stoney Creek. [snip]
        • Tim Foster
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
            I have .69 cal musket ball in 100% pure lead for sale.I am in Hamilton,
            Helmut and Co. Price is 6 for $5.00. 905-777-9465

            On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Andrew Bateman <a_bateman@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Try Shooter's Choice in Waterloo.
            >
            > Andrew B., 41st
            >

            > On 11/3/2011 11:46 PM, rjdwarnock wrote:
            > > Hello List,
            > >
            > > I need to get a hold of about 20 US musket balls for some live firing.

          • Richard Hardman
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
              If this is true I have a .65 Cal round ball mold and will donate any .65
              cal balls that may be required.

              gonnemaker

            • peter monahan
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
                Colin I have not gone back to my sources - various documents gathered over a decade, but some years ago - but I'm going to challenge the notion that '69 calibre' balss were '65 mm' in diameter. British "75 calibre" [3/4 of an inch] were somewhere between .725 and .74 inches {calibre] to allow for loading with a patch or the waxed paper cartridge wrapped around them. Similiary, as I undestand it, "69 calibre" balls were probably between 66.5 and 68 calibre. I believe that "65" and "69" calibre were and are recognized as separate calibres or "bores" by the muzzle loading experts. Having said that, I suspect that firing .65 ball into a carcass, instead of .69, especially at short range, would produce very similar results. I also suspect that nobody out there is interested in measuring the difference in muzzle velocity between .65 and .675 when fired from a .69 calibre barrel and extrapolating the difference in damage to bone or soft tissue. So, Ron may well by able to use the ".65" balls for the experiment. Either way, I hope that he will let us know where wnd when we can read the resuts of this fascinating venture into practical archaeology!
                Peter Monahan
                petemonahan@...
                705-435-0953 home / 705-890-9953 cell

              • Stephen
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 7, 2011
                  According to US Ordnace Manuals .69 muskets fired .64 balls

                  Stephen Allie

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 7, 2011
                    I stand corrected. Thanks, Steve

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 7, 2011
                      On 11/7/2011 11:06 AM, Stephen wrote:
                      > According to US Ordnace Manuals .69 muskets fired .64 balls
                      >
                      > Stephen Allie
                      And according to Adye's "Bombardier and Pocket Gunner" pg. 45, British
                      Musquet balls were .68 in size.

                      Andrew B, 41st