.69 Calibre Musket Balls

  • rjdwarnock
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
      Hello List,

      I need to get a hold of about 20 US musket balls for some live firing.
      This is to help a McMaster University forensic pathologist who is studying wounds on human remains recovered at the Battlefield of Stoney Creek. Fort George was able to help Dr. Brickley a few years ago with skull shots and bayonet wounds--shooting and bayoneting pig carcasses as a pig's skull and ribs are similar to those of a human. By flensing the pig, the marks on the bones gave data that could be applied to wounds found on Stoney Creek remains.

      In this case the wounds are from the pelvises of two individuals, one of which looks like it was struck from behind by a ball and two buckshot. Apparently lamb hip bones are about the same thickness as human hip bones so Dr Brickley is preparing "targets" covered with wool cloth which will be shot with .75 calibre ball and (hopefully) .69 calibre ball and .69 buck and ball. The .75 calibre is not a problem and the correct sized buckshot is easy enough to find but I need a source for .69 calibre ball in the next two weeks.

      Any ideas or anyone who can sell me the balls please reply.

      Thanks,

      Ron Dale
    • Frank Sgromolo
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
        Ron,

        I get mine from�Track of the Wolf www.trackofthewolf.com� Part number: �BALL-690-X

        I haven't ordered in a couple years but when I did they came in packs of 25 for $9.95 plus shipping (shipping at the time was $13.75 for 3 packs (75 balls)

        Hope this helps.

        Frank Sgromolo
        Chesapeake, VA.
        Historical�Leatherworker - Colonial Leather Works

        ________________________________
        From: rjdwarnock <ronaldjdale@...>

        Hello List,

        I need to get a hold of about 20 US musket balls for some live firing.
        [snip]
      • Andrew Bateman
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
          Try Shooter's Choice in Waterloo.

          Andrew B., 41st

          On 11/3/2011 11:46 PM, rjdwarnock wrote:
          > Hello List,
          >
          > I need to get a hold of about 20 US musket balls for some live firing.
        • usmarine1814
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
            This is from my understanding of records, documents and archaeological finds, but I may well be wrong.

            That being said, I believe US musket balls were roughly .65 cal (give or take a .002, .003 or .004) and the rounds for .75 Cal weapons were .69 (give or take as well). SO if doing a study on wounds from a .69 cal musket the .65 cal balls are the ones to use.

            Just Saying...May be wrong.. but I think I am right (and thats all that counts to me :)

            YHOS
            C. Murphy
            USS CON 1812 MG
            USMCHC

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "rjdwarnock" <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

            > Hello List,
            >
            > I need to get a hold of about 20 US musket balls for some live firing.
            > This is to help a McMaster University forensic pathologist who is studying wounds on human remains recovered at the Battlefield of Stoney Creek. [snip]
          • Tim Foster
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
              I have .69 cal musket ball in 100% pure lead for sale.I am in Hamilton,
              Helmut and Co. Price is 6 for $5.00. 905-777-9465

              On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Andrew Bateman <a_bateman@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Try Shooter's Choice in Waterloo.
              >
              > Andrew B., 41st
              >

              > On 11/3/2011 11:46 PM, rjdwarnock wrote:
              > > Hello List,
              > >
              > > I need to get a hold of about 20 US musket balls for some live firing.

            • Richard Hardman
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
                If this is true I have a .65 Cal round ball mold and will donate any .65
                cal balls that may be required.

                gonnemaker

              • peter monahan
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
                  Colin I have not gone back to my sources - various documents gathered over a decade, but some years ago - but I'm going to challenge the notion that '69 calibre' balss were '65 mm' in diameter. British "75 calibre" [3/4 of an inch] were somewhere between .725 and .74 inches {calibre] to allow for loading with a patch or the waxed paper cartridge wrapped around them. Similiary, as I undestand it, "69 calibre" balls were probably between 66.5 and 68 calibre. I believe that "65" and "69" calibre were and are recognized as separate calibres or "bores" by the muzzle loading experts. Having said that, I suspect that firing .65 ball into a carcass, instead of .69, especially at short range, would produce very similar results. I also suspect that nobody out there is interested in measuring the difference in muzzle velocity between .65 and .675 when fired from a .69 calibre barrel and extrapolating the difference in damage to bone or soft tissue. So, Ron may well by able to use the ".65" balls for the experiment. Either way, I hope that he will let us know where wnd when we can read the resuts of this fascinating venture into practical archaeology!
                  Peter Monahan
                  petemonahan@...
                  705-435-0953 home / 705-890-9953 cell

                • Stephen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 7, 2011
                    According to US Ordnace Manuals .69 muskets fired .64 balls

                    Stephen Allie

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 7, 2011
                      I stand corrected. Thanks, Steve

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 7, 2011
                        On 11/7/2011 11:06 AM, Stephen wrote:
                        > According to US Ordnace Manuals .69 muskets fired .64 balls
                        >
                        > Stephen Allie
                        And according to Adye's "Bombardier and Pocket Gunner" pg. 45, British
                        Musquet balls were .68 in size.

                        Andrew B, 41st