Re: 1812 Interesting bit of info.

  • lee@simonson.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
      That is fascinating.

      After my book, Tuscarora Heroes, came out,
      I was very surprised to find out that one of the
      Tuscaroras who participated in the action was
      Harry Patterson -- 10 years old!

      Harry's great-great-great grandson is rather
      proud of that fact.

      It would be interesting to know how many
      young teens or pre-teens saw action in 1812.

      Lee Simonson
      Lewiston, NY
      716-754-8414
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
        In the pension list that came out (1874 I think?) they broke it down by the
        age of applicants. There was 2 that were 74 years old. So they would have
        been 12 -15 during the War. So not at all common for Canada, who had set a
        minimum age and a maximum age in the Militia act.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
          The last widow of a Confederate soldier from the US Civil War died in ... 2004!
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Martin

          Does anyone know when the last widow of a veteran of the War of 1812 died?

          John Matthew IV