Interesting bit of info.

  • Tim Foster
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2011
      This might be old hat to you but its new and interesting to me.
      Reference
      http://www.worldsstrangest.com/uncategorized/the-last-man-standing/
      The War of 1812

      Hiram Cronk <http://herkimer.nygenweb.net/frankfort/hiramcronk.html> was
      born in 1800, which makes the fact that he served in the War of 1812 sound
      impossible. However, the war lasted until February of 1815. Cronk was 14
      when he enlisted and served for approximately 100 days before the war�s
      end. He surprised the other soldiers by fighting well at Sackett�s Harbor
      despite his small size. As an adult, he married, worked as a shoemaker, and
      had seven children. When he died in 1905, an estimated 25,000
      people<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_Cronk>came to pay respects
      to the last veteran of that war. Cronk�s funeral
      procession <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kOCY6Nc1d8> was recorded on
      film.

    • lee@simonson.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
        That is fascinating.

        After my book, Tuscarora Heroes, came out,
        I was very surprised to find out that one of the
        Tuscaroras who participated in the action was
        Harry Patterson -- 10 years old!

        Harry's great-great-great grandson is rather
        proud of that fact.

        It would be interesting to know how many
        young teens or pre-teens saw action in 1812.

        Lee Simonson
        Lewiston, NY
        716-754-8414
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
          In the pension list that came out (1874 I think?) they broke it down by the
          age of applicants. There was 2 that were 74 years old. So they would have
          been 12 -15 during the War. So not at all common for Canada, who had set a
          minimum age and a maximum age in the Militia act.

          Kevin

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
            The last widow of a Confederate soldier from the US Civil War died in ... 2004!
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Martin

            Does anyone know when the last widow of a veteran of the War of 1812 died?

            John Matthew IV