UPDATE: War of 1812 Bicentennial Symposium - Feb. 25, 2012 - Guelph, Ontario

  • tom4141fournier
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2011
      Good morning list!

      On behalf of the organizing committee, I am pleased to offer an update around our Symposium.

      The 41st Regiment drawing upon its experiences hosting the 41st Regiment Lecture Series for the past 7 years is working with key elements from the Living History Conferences to put on this event.

      We have secured fabulous space at the University of Guelph along with a room block at a nearby hotel (walking distance).

      We need to finalize topic details and some speakers but we can confirm the following topics streams, confirmed speakers and a rough idea of their topic as follows:

      2012 Symposium

      Opening Keynote : Don Graves
      Closing Keynote: Jonathon Riley

      Topic Stream: Military History

      1) Robert Henderson (LaColle's Mill, etc.)
      2) Vic Suthren – Naval
      3) Adwoa Badoe – Richard Pierpoint – to be confirmed
      4) Rick Finch – US Northwest

      Topic Stream: Social History

      1) Dianne Graves – Women in the War
      2) Ray Hobbs – Behind the Shield
      3) Peter Twist – Regency Life
      4) John Grodzinski – Sir George Prevost

      Topic Stream: Archeology, Artifacts & Material Culture

      1) Rene Chartrand (British and Canadian uniforms and accoutrements)
      2) Susan Langley (archaeology – Barney's flotilla)
      3) Richard Gerrard (Brock's "knighthood")
      4) Ron Williamson – Native Artifacts

      History Brought to Life

      1) Honour our 1812 Heroes
      2) Les Szabo - musket maintenance II
      3) Betsy Bashore -Women's Fashions
      4) Miyoko Twist – So You Bought Your Dress, Now What?

      We will also put out a call for papers to round out the rest of our offering.

      There are plans for a Friday night welcome reception, an optional Saturday night dinner, regency dance and period card game parlour.

      We will soon be able to open the website for registrations.

      Once speakers, topics and rotations are finalized.

      We are really excited about this year's symposium and do hope you will consider joining us!

      Tom Fournier

      On behalf of Sioux Spencer, Peter Twist, Robert Henderson, Ray Hobbs, Chris McKay, Leonard Kuehner and Ken Irvine
    • militaryheritage
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2011
        This will be easily the most important symposium on the War for 2012 Bicentennial. It is the first conference were military and social historians, Museum professionals, and Living history enthusiasts will get a chance to share ideas and findings in a fun environment.

        What is really great is it is a grassroots endeavour and I am so thankful Tom Fournier is the lead. Tom is the glue and he has my vote for hardest working War of 1812 Volunteer. He makes the best case for Cloning... Ok so does Sofia Vergara.

        Robert
      • tom4141fournier
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2011
          I vote Sofia