uk chatham event and rules and regulation on firearms

  • Elton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2011
      hello all as has been pointed out to me, i owe this yahoo group a apology!

      in my enthusiasm to get people to come to the event here in england (no small task i know in terms of flight costs etc) i hadnt researched my subject properly in terms of firearms transportation into the uk (to be honest its a very "doh" thing for me not to have done)

      when questioned i still hadnt got a full clarification

      clarification has been provided now very helpfully by john Grieg (which i will be reposting below)

      sorry everybody!

      but please dont let this put you of coming whe have space for anybody who wants to come

      ps i intend (if finances will allow) to come to at least one 200 year 1812 anniversary event in the US/canada netx year so im sure i will see you some of you there

      The attitude in the UK to any reproduction rifle, pistol or musket that is capable of being fired is no different to a modern cartridge weapon. This produces more than a few difficulties for a visitor.

      As you say you do need a temporary certificate for any musket, pistol or rifle brought into the UK if it is not an antique. (The definition of antique would go into a few paragraphs).

      Although "jumping through hoops" it is easier if a certificate holder, lets call him/her your sponsor, in UK acts on your behalf and is able to provide the necessary security of the weapon when not at the event. I am afraid you can't drive around England with a Bess in the trunk whilst you are on vacation. As it is capable of being fired it must be technically remain locked away in an approved steel cabinet when not in use. Other methods may be approved such as the detachment of the lock and storing it apart..

      All certificates are issued by County Constabularys. The certificate is not a national document issued in one place. It is easier if your sponsor deals with their local Constabulary and the following information will be reqired.

      1. A charecter reference for the owner/applicant.

      2. Dates too and from th temporary certificate will be required.

      3. Description and make of the weapon together with any identification numbers.

      4. Details of how and where it is to be stored whilst not in use

      5. The appropriate fee.

      It aint easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      I am also sorry to say that you cannot borrow a weapon, only if it is a "dummy".