Re: 1812 Francis Scott Key and the Writing of “The Star-Spangled Banner”

  • Diane Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2011
      Key was on a British ship trying to secure the freedom of a captive doctor. He was not on an American ship.

      ~~Diane

      >________________________________
      >From: Sarah More <recce40@...>
      [snip]

      >Francis Scott Key, a successful 35-year old lawyer and amateur poet, witnessed the bombardment of Fort McHenry from an American ship [snip]
    • westhouse03
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2011
        According to what I have read, what Sarah put down is correct. In "Paradoxes of Fame: The Francis Scott Key Story", by Sam Meyer, the three Americans, Key, Skinner and Dr. Beanes, were transferred to their own truce-boat. The small sloop was then anchored with the British transports some eight miles down the Patapsco from Fort McHenry. This is on page 42 of the above book.
        Key had secured the freedom of Dr. Beanes, having negotiated it aboard HMS Tonnant meeting with General Ross. It had been determined that the three Americans had probably heard too much of the British plans so they were detained, on their own boat, until after the action was concluded.

        Dave Westhouse.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2011
          Thanks! I'll pass this info along.

          ~~Diane

          [snip] the three Americans, Key, Skinner and Dr. Beanes, were transferred to their own truce-boat. [snip] It had been determined that the three Americans had probably heard too much of the British plans so they were detained, on their own boat, until after the action was concluded.[snip]