Re: 1812 RE: who won?

  • John
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 5, 2011
      I've always thought that it was pretty apparent that the British/Canadians won.. After all, the war aims of the United States were not met and Canada was successfully defended...

      John

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mathews" <memathews@...> wrote:

      > Well, the Orders in Council had been rescinded already; technically even
      > before we declared war. So stopping American ships and impressing real or
      > imagined British sailors was old news by December of 1814.
      >

      > Michael

      > "We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we
      > must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes
      >
      > _____

    • petemonahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 5, 2011
        Oddly enough, the same thing happened in WWII. Some of the few Germans captured in the disasterous Dieppe raid were handcuffed for the trip back to England, apparently to stop them destroying anything of intelligence value before they could be searched. And, no doubt, to make them easier to handle in crowded landing craft.

        The Germans got wind of this and shackeld an equivalent number of Canadaians captured on the raid. So the British re-shackled the Germans and... you get the idea. However, one Cdn later reported that in his camp, after the first week or so, the guards put the cuffs on for roll call each morning, fulfilling the bare letter of the order from Berlin ordering shackling, and took them off for the rest of each day. Yet another example of the common soldier being more humane and perhaps more intelligent than his alleged leaders!