Re: Museum Family Fun Day and Fly In. [WILDLY off-topic]

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2011
      With all due respect that is a very narrow view of your "mission" as it relates to educating the public on the War of 1812 and its role in American military history. The members of your group were invited to participate if they wished. A lot of Americans have no clue about the War of 1812 and this is an opportunity (as well as other events nation wide) to inform the public and expand your hobby beyond a handful of participants.

      Jason Unwin
      Education Officer
      Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum
      www.pwam.org

      Moderator here.

      So to clarify, you are extending an invitation to War of 1812 re-enactors to show up at this program in their gear, and make presentations to the public in attendance about the War of 1812, correct?

      If so, then I guess your original post was indeed not wildly off topic and I apologize for thinking your post was basically an ad looking for spectators.

      I see from your website that the mission of your facility is:
      "To preserve, restore, and display military aircraft and artifacts that are historically representative of America's finest hours, to educate the public and promote tourism."
      This led me to believe that you were a military aviation site and to miss the thought that you might have been looking for War of 1812-clad participants.

      If any War of 1812 re-enactors live close to Pueblo, Colorado, they might take you up on your invitation.

      Please note that most of what the members of this group do involves participating at recognized War of 1812 programming. Most events, sites, and "living history" school programs are or take place in areas of the continent where events occurred in that War. Many thousands of persons regularly attend these events and I believe I can state with confidence that we have, over the past few decades, expanded our hobby well beyond involving only a "handful of participants".

      Regards

      Jim Yaworsky
      Moderator