War of 1812 on PBS

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2011
      Check out the link below for a preview of the new PBS production
      "The War of 1812"

      http://video.pbs.org/video/2089393539

      Show is scheduled to premier on Oct. 10th, at least on US PBS Stations.

      Ed B. 17th Inf.
    • cameronswanson@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2011
        Or, you could watch the full program online now: http://video.pbs.org/video/2089393539

        Midshipman Cameron Swanson
        Western Lakes Station

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <armchairadm@...> wrote:

        > Check out the link below for a preview of the new PBS production
        > "The War of 1812"
        >
        > http://video.pbs.org/video/2089393539
        >
        > Show is scheduled to premier on Oct. 10th, at least on US PBS Stations.
        >
        > Ed B. 17th Inf.

      • Ian Gardner
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 11, 2011
          Not a bad primer about the War and although receiving long overdue
          attention from south of the border, I do have a couple of gripes.

          "Brock's forces were assembled along the Heights at Queenston. Yet Van
          Rensselaer decided to send his army across the Niagara AT Queenston".

          Is it just me or does this quote just sound flat-out wrong to anyone
          else? I mean, what I'd take away from this as a casual watcher is that
          Van Rensselaer cavalierly sent his troops into the teeth of a prepared
          position with an opposing troop count representing some
          not-inconsiderable percentage of opposing forces. Maybe my recollection
          is off but I'd swear I recall reading that Brock's main force on the
          Niagara was at Fort George and the assault on Queenston chosen precisely
          because it was some distance away from Brock's main force (not to
          mention Brock himself).

          I was also surprised that the 1813 Niagara campaign got such short
          shrift and not presented as the near-breakthrough that it would have
          been absent Stoney Creek.

          And lastly, it'd be nice if the producers could go back into the master
          tape and correctly spell Bob Malcomson's name in his key. It's a small
          thing but oh so basic.
          Ian

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 11, 2011
            And, I might add, that the native involement in the 1812 war effort was far more important than espoused or illustrated by the "documentary"; indeed, the Six Nations warriors at Queenston, Stoney Creek, Beaverdams etc. were indispensible to these battles and the general defense of Upper & Lower Canada throughout the War. A very disappointing & boring film!

            Kim Lundberg, British Native Allies

            On 10/11/11, Ian Gardner <igardner@...> wrote:

            > Not a bad primer about the War and although receiving long overdue
            > attention from south of the border, I do have a couple of gripes.
            >
            > "Brock's forces were assembled along the Heights at Queenston. Yet Van
            > Rensselaer decided to send his army across the Niagara AT Queenston".
            >
            > Is it just me or does this quote just sound flat-out wrong to anyone
            > else? I mean, what I'd take away from this as a casual watcher is that
            > Van Rensselaer cavalierly sent his troops into the teeth of a prepared
            > position with an opposing troop count representing some
            > not-inconsiderable percentage of opposing forces. Maybe my recollection
            > is off but I'd swear I recall reading that Brock's main force on the
            > Niagara was at Fort George and the assault on Queenston chosen precisely
            > because it was some distance away from Brock's main force (not to
            > mention Brock himself).
            >
            > I was also surprised that the 1813 Niagara campaign got such short
            > shrift and not presented as the near-breakthrough that it would have
            > been absent Stoney Creek.
            >
            > And lastly, it'd be nice if the producers could go back into the master
            > tape and correctly spell Bob Malcomson's name in his key. It's a small
            > thing but oh so basic.
            > Ian

          • usmarine1814
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 11, 2011
              It was better than the history channel attempt a few years back because it considered the broader war. It was not as good as I hoped. The "talking head" experts were good as usual,but the reliance on non-contemporary, anachronistic engravings and paintings to depict battle scenes was not a good choice.
              Also, as mentioned, the American successes of 1813 were completely overlooked (probably because they did not fit into the theme of American ineptitude) and also the absence of:

              Creek War
              Naval War on the Oceans 1813-1815
              Chesapeake in general in 1813-1814
              More on Bladensburg
              Northpoint (?)
              The larger anti-war movement
              LAKE ONTARIO!!!!! (????????)

              I understand there were only two hours, but after two, ok to watch and better than nothing ,but less than fulfilling, attempts in the past few years I am still hoping for a 3 or 4 episode series on the war...Perhaps by 2015 or 2112???

              YHOS
              C Murphy
              USS CONSTITUTION 1812 Marines
              USMCHC

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kim Lundberg <klundber@...> wrote:

              > And, I might add, that the native involement in the 1812 war effort was far more important than espoused or illustrated by the "documentary"; indeed, the Six Nations warriors at Queenston, Stoney Creek, Beaverdams etc. were indispensible to these battles and the general defense of Upper & Lower Canada throughout the War. A very disappointing & boring film!
              >
              > Kim Lundberg, British Native Allies
              >
              > On 10/11/11, Ian Gardner <igardner@...> wrote:

              > > Not a bad primer about the War and although receiving long overdue
              > > attention from south of the border, I do have a couple of gripes.
              > >
              > > "Brock's forces were assembled along the Heights at Queenston. Yet Van
              > > Rensselaer decided to send his army across the Niagara AT Queenston".
              > >
              > > Is it just me or does this quote just sound flat-out wrong to anyone
              > > else? I mean, what I'd take away from this as a casual watcher is that
              > > Van Rensselaer cavalierly sent his troops into the teeth of a prepared
              > > position with an opposing troop count representing some
              > > not-inconsiderable percentage of opposing forces. Maybe my recollection
              > > is off but I'd swear I recall reading that Brock's main force on the
              > > Niagara was at Fort George and the assault on Queenston chosen precisely
              > > because it was some distance away from Brock's main force (not to
              > > mention Brock himself).
              > >
              > > I was also surprised that the 1813 Niagara campaign got such short
              > > shrift and not presented as the near-breakthrough that it would have
              > > been absent Stoney Creek.
              > >
              > > And lastly, it'd be nice if the producers could go back into the master
              > > tape and correctly spell Bob Malcomson's name in his key. It's a small
              > > thing but oh so basic.
              > > Ian

            • Neebs
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 12, 2011
                As one of the reenactors quite involved in the events at the reenactment of North Point, I was pretty peeved by their lack of coverage on it. But I suppose you're right, it would take away from our supposed ineptitude. As for the importance of events in both the Chesapeake and on the ocean, plus the other events I am not as familiar with... <sigh> Anyway, definitely a lot missing, and not a good harbinger of how other groups will handle the War of 1812 in the years to come. Then again, I could just be a cynic and the increased volume of reenactments will mean better coverage of the war.

                Right.

                Sgt. Nebel
                1st Maryland Rifle Battalion
                1st Baltimore Sharp Shooters
                AKA "Aisquith's Sharp Shooters"
              • a10rca
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 12, 2011
                  Well Sarge, you're not alone.
                  This group could make a very long list of all the battles and skirmishes that were not mentioned in a two-hour documentary.
                  As far as ineptitude, I think there was enough to go around.
                  Jim