Re: What does an Artillery company do?

  • petemonahan
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2011
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "rotmistrzb" <orlirva@...> wrote:
      Montross men - sounds like they are the privates supporting the gunners and bombadeers in your example but the term implies fortress artillery men.

      I assume you mean 'matrosses' here. In British service they would likely have done a lot of the digging of emplacements and acted as guards to the train on the move and the gun when in place, not just manning fortress guns. And, since they were trained to serve the gun, as the aforementioned 'spare bodies'.

      On a mild diversionary note, as late as WWII, US units making combat landings in the Pacific theatre included 'supernumerary' officers who,essentially, had no function unless and until some other officer got hit. Wouldn't you love THAT job?!