Re: Size of a British Infantry Company during the War of 1812

  • tom4141fournier
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 2011
      A quick question ...

      > I have a quick question: A standard British infantry battalion at full strengh during the War of 1812 (like the Royal Scots or the 41st.) had how many companies? Ten? How many soldiers were in each company?
      >
      > Regards, Ken Kelly

      But never a quick answer!!!

      I was going to respond the 41st had many unique circumstances but then again if you get into the service details of any of the regiments I am sure they had much of the same.

      The 41st had the benefit of a 2nd Battatlion in Canada which they transferred men from to try to keep the 1st Battalion up to strength, and then finally combined the two battalions by the end of 1813 into a reconstituted 1st Battlation

      All regiments had 10 companies. For most regiments, they were often broken up with companies or group of companies posted in different areas.

      The 41st Regiment's 1st Battalion averaged 653 effectives throughout the war years. That would mean an average of 65 men per company

      They had a high of 941 and a low of 178 effectives (just after Moraviantown).

      By year, their effectives averaged:

      1812: 908
      1813: 572
      1814: 635