2012 Fort La Presentation Association War of 1812 Symposium

  • whittakermp
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2011
      We have begun planning our fourth annual War of 1812 Symposium to be held at the Freight House Restaurant in Ogdensburg, April 28, 2012. As in previous years, Friday evening will be a meet-and-greet. The seminars and related activities are on Saturday.

      There will be eight presentations, including a dinner speaker.

      At this time our scheduled seminars are:

      1) Research leading to the discover of Pike's Encampment on the Saranac River; Mr. Keith Herkalo;

      2) The Archaeology confirming the location of Pike's Encampment, Mr. Tim Abel;

      3) The Battle of Queenston Heights and the role of Fort George in the War of 1812, Mr. Ron Dale;

      4) The discovery, investigation and the preservation of the Hamilton and the Scourge, Ms. Nancy Binnie (TBC);

      5) Medical practices during the War of 1812, Greg Baran, MD;

      6) Teaching the War of 1812 as a civil war, Prof. Melissane Shrems;

      7) Abbé Piquet and the legacy of Indigenous/Mohawk alliances during the War of 1812, Prof. Scott Stevens(TBC);

      8) Planning for and Conducting of War in North America, 1808-1815, Major John Grodzinski.

      Biographies and seminar titles and outlines will follow and be posted to www.fort1749.org.

      We are working to have the last year's presentations put online.

      Please be patient.

      Cheers,

      Michael Whittaker