1812 Re: RC on Ships

  • petemonahan
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 7, 2011
      Maybe the US followed British custom and used hired vessels as revenue cutters, fleet tenders and such like 'non-rated' ships. [I'm cribbing from Patrick O'Brien here.] As they were not technically 'Navy' ships they may not have been entitled to use 'HMS' or 'USS', so the reference was to "Sara [Revenue Cutter]" as distinct from "USS Sara" or, God forbid, "HMS Sara".

      My tuppence ha'penny worth!
    • rjcoole
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 9, 2011
        Rose Coole

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

        > Greetings esteemed Naval types.....
        >
        > I have been reading prisoner of war list (we do read some strange stuff here don't we??) and have come across ships names such as Nimbler RC, Sarah RC, Telemachus RC, Policy RC (there's a fierce ship name! Right up there with Post Boy....)
        >
        > What does RC mean?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Kevin

      • Diane Williams
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 9, 2011
          I posted this question in the War of 1812 group hosted by Michael Dun, who
          lives in Scotland and does a lot of War of 1812 research at the Royal Navy
          Archives in Kew, England. He at first replied with Revenue Cutter, but
          couldn't find any such ships with these names:
          --RC stands for "revenue cutter" a useful note can be found at http://www.uscg.mil/history/USRMWarOf1812index.asp and associated links -
          but none of the vessels named are listed so if any have a different
          explanation I'd be interested.
          Then we got another response:
          Homer writes "I am quite certain that RC stands for RECAPTURE" and he is
          correct -- I apologize I should have realised all was not well when I
          couldn't find those vessels in the list of Revenue Cutters. As another
          Homer would say, "Doh!"

          Harrison Baker mentions same in his prisoner lists -- so using the list for
          Halifax, I checked on the Sarah, listed as Letter of Marque, and the name
          Covell, Clement, seaman, taken 14 Sept 1814 by HMS Maidstone.

          Lloyds's List 25 Oct. 1814:
          The Sarah, Headley, from St.John's N.B. to Barbadoes, was taken 14th ult.
          by the Shark privateer, retaken 28th by Maidstone frigate, and arrived at
          Halifax 30th.

          Best wishes,
          Michael
          Latitude 56:47386 North Longitude -2:84576 West www.1812privateers.org

          ~~Diane Williams (ggg granddaughter of Privateer Captain John P. Chazal)

          >What does RC mean?
          >
          >Thanks in advance.
          >
          >Kevin
        • Ian Gardner
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 12, 2011
            Just caught this off Twitter.

            Researchers begin their quest to locate old graves

            http://bit.ly/Chatham_1812_graves
            Ian