Re: RC on Ships

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 7 5:38 PM
      Revenue Cutter?

      Jim Yaworsky

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

      > What does RC mean?
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Kevin

    • Andrew Bateman
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 7 5:45 PM
        On 9/7/2011 8:38 PM, James Yaworsky wrote:
        > Revenue Cutter?
        >
        > Jim Yaworsky

        That was my thinking too, but I'm not a "navy" guy.

        Andrew B.
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 7 6:20 PM
          It's possible, but wouldn't that be before the ship? I.e. USRC "ship
          name"??

          I really have no idea...

          KW

          On 9/7/2011 8:38 PM, James Yaworsky wrote:
          > Revenue Cutter?
          >
          > Jim Yaworsky

          That was my thinking too, but I'm not a "navy" guy.

          Andrew B.

          ._,___

        • petemonahan
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 7 7:18 PM
            Maybe the US followed British custom and used hired vessels as revenue cutters, fleet tenders and such like 'non-rated' ships. [I'm cribbing from Patrick O'Brien here.] As they were not technically 'Navy' ships they may not have been entitled to use 'HMS' or 'USS', so the reference was to "Sara [Revenue Cutter]" as distinct from "USS Sara" or, God forbid, "HMS Sara".

            My tuppence ha'penny worth!
          • rjcoole
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 9 3:11 AM
              Rose Coole

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

              > Greetings esteemed Naval types.....
              >
              > I have been reading prisoner of war list (we do read some strange stuff here don't we??) and have come across ships names such as Nimbler RC, Sarah RC, Telemachus RC, Policy RC (there's a fierce ship name! Right up there with Post Boy....)
              >
              > What does RC mean?
              >
              > Thanks in advance.
              >
              > Kevin

            • Diane Williams
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 9 8:58 AM
                I posted this question in the War of 1812 group hosted by Michael Dun, who
                lives in Scotland and does a lot of War of 1812 research at the Royal Navy
                Archives in Kew, England. He at first replied with Revenue Cutter, but
                couldn't find any such ships with these names:
                --RC stands for "revenue cutter" a useful note can be found at http://www.uscg.mil/history/USRMWarOf1812index.asp and associated links -
                but none of the vessels named are listed so if any have a different
                explanation I'd be interested.
                Then we got another response:
                Homer writes "I am quite certain that RC stands for RECAPTURE" and he is
                correct -- I apologize I should have realised all was not well when I
                couldn't find those vessels in the list of Revenue Cutters. As another
                Homer would say, "Doh!"

                Harrison Baker mentions same in his prisoner lists -- so using the list for
                Halifax, I checked on the Sarah, listed as Letter of Marque, and the name
                Covell, Clement, seaman, taken 14 Sept 1814 by HMS Maidstone.

                Lloyds's List 25 Oct. 1814:
                The Sarah, Headley, from St.John's N.B. to Barbadoes, was taken 14th ult.
                by the Shark privateer, retaken 28th by Maidstone frigate, and arrived at
                Halifax 30th.

                Best wishes,
                Michael
                Latitude 56:47386 North Longitude -2:84576 West www.1812privateers.org

                ~~Diane Williams (ggg granddaughter of Privateer Captain John P. Chazal)

                >What does RC mean?
                >
                >Thanks in advance.
                >
                >Kevin
              • Ian Gardner
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 12 6:03 PM
                  Just caught this off Twitter.

                  Researchers begin their quest to locate old graves

                  http://bit.ly/Chatham_1812_graves
                  Ian