RE: 1812 RC on Ships

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 7 1:48 PM
      it must have been tough for Nelson to control it with only one arm..... just keeps going around and around and around...

      KW

      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

      It means "Remote Control". The navy was very forward thinking and its
      technology was very advanced in 1812.

      Mark Dickerson

    • JOHN GREIG
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 7 1:55 PM
        As England was a staunch Protestant country could the prisoners have been Roman Catholics?
        Just a thought.
        Also seems strange that they just have one name.
        As ever,
        Squire.

        I have been reading prisoner of war list (we do read some strange stuff here don't we??) and have come across ships names such as Nimbler RC, Sarah RC, Telemachus RC, Policy RC (there's a fierce ship name! Right up there with Post Boy....)

        What does RC mean?

        Thanks in advance.

        Kevin

      • peter monahan
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 7 3:16 PM
          "As England was a staunch Protestant country could the prisoners have been Roman Catholics?"
          And female too! 'Sara RC'. Gads, the things you learn on this list! The mind 'boggles' - a word first used by that peerless Georgian naval hero, Captain "Lucky" Jack Aubrey, commander of the famous frigate HMS Boggler. It's true! I saw it in the movies!

        • James Yaworsky
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 7 5:38 PM
            Revenue Cutter?

            Jim Yaworsky

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

            > What does RC mean?
            >
            > Thanks in advance.
            >
            > Kevin

          • Andrew Bateman
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 7 5:45 PM
              On 9/7/2011 8:38 PM, James Yaworsky wrote:
              > Revenue Cutter?
              >
              > Jim Yaworsky

              That was my thinking too, but I'm not a "navy" guy.

              Andrew B.
            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 7 6:20 PM
                It's possible, but wouldn't that be before the ship? I.e. USRC "ship
                name"??

                I really have no idea...

                KW

                On 9/7/2011 8:38 PM, James Yaworsky wrote:
                > Revenue Cutter?
                >
                > Jim Yaworsky

                That was my thinking too, but I'm not a "navy" guy.

                Andrew B.

                ._,___

              • petemonahan
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 7 7:18 PM
                  Maybe the US followed British custom and used hired vessels as revenue cutters, fleet tenders and such like 'non-rated' ships. [I'm cribbing from Patrick O'Brien here.] As they were not technically 'Navy' ships they may not have been entitled to use 'HMS' or 'USS', so the reference was to "Sara [Revenue Cutter]" as distinct from "USS Sara" or, God forbid, "HMS Sara".

                  My tuppence ha'penny worth!
                • rjcoole
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 9 3:11 AM
                    Rose Coole

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings esteemed Naval types.....
                    >
                    > I have been reading prisoner of war list (we do read some strange stuff here don't we??) and have come across ships names such as Nimbler RC, Sarah RC, Telemachus RC, Policy RC (there's a fierce ship name! Right up there with Post Boy....)
                    >
                    > What does RC mean?
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance.
                    >
                    > Kevin

                  • Diane Williams
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 9 8:58 AM
                      I posted this question in the War of 1812 group hosted by Michael Dun, who
                      lives in Scotland and does a lot of War of 1812 research at the Royal Navy
                      Archives in Kew, England. He at first replied with Revenue Cutter, but
                      couldn't find any such ships with these names:
                      --RC stands for "revenue cutter" a useful note can be found at http://www.uscg.mil/history/USRMWarOf1812index.asp and associated links -
                      but none of the vessels named are listed so if any have a different
                      explanation I'd be interested.
                      Then we got another response:
                      Homer writes "I am quite certain that RC stands for RECAPTURE" and he is
                      correct -- I apologize I should have realised all was not well when I
                      couldn't find those vessels in the list of Revenue Cutters. As another
                      Homer would say, "Doh!"

                      Harrison Baker mentions same in his prisoner lists -- so using the list for
                      Halifax, I checked on the Sarah, listed as Letter of Marque, and the name
                      Covell, Clement, seaman, taken 14 Sept 1814 by HMS Maidstone.

                      Lloyds's List 25 Oct. 1814:
                      The Sarah, Headley, from St.John's N.B. to Barbadoes, was taken 14th ult.
                      by the Shark privateer, retaken 28th by Maidstone frigate, and arrived at
                      Halifax 30th.

                      Best wishes,
                      Michael
                      Latitude 56:47386 North Longitude -2:84576 West www.1812privateers.org

                      ~~Diane Williams (ggg granddaughter of Privateer Captain John P. Chazal)

                      >What does RC mean?
                      >
                      >Thanks in advance.
                      >
                      >Kevin
                    • Ian Gardner
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 12 6:03 PM
                        Just caught this off Twitter.

                        Researchers begin their quest to locate old graves

                        http://bit.ly/Chatham_1812_graves
                        Ian