RC on Ships

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 7, 2011
      Greetings esteemed Naval types.....

      I have been reading prisoner of war list (we do read some strange stuff here don't we??) and have come across ships names such as Nimbler RC, Sarah RC, Telemachus RC, Policy RC (there's a fierce ship name! Right up there with Post Boy....)

      What does RC mean?

      Thanks in advance.

      Kevin

    • Mark Dickerson

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 7, 2011
          it must have been tough for Nelson to control it with only one arm..... just keeps going around and around and around...

          KW

          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

          It means "Remote Control". The navy was very forward thinking and its
          technology was very advanced in 1812.

          Mark Dickerson

        • JOHN GREIG
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 7, 2011
            As England was a staunch Protestant country could the prisoners have been Roman Catholics?
            Just a thought.
            Also seems strange that they just have one name.
            As ever,
            Squire.

            I have been reading prisoner of war list (we do read some strange stuff here don't we??) and have come across ships names such as Nimbler RC, Sarah RC, Telemachus RC, Policy RC (there's a fierce ship name! Right up there with Post Boy....)

            What does RC mean?

            Thanks in advance.

            Kevin

          • peter monahan
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 7, 2011
              "As England was a staunch Protestant country could the prisoners have been Roman Catholics?"
              And female too! 'Sara RC'. Gads, the things you learn on this list! The mind 'boggles' - a word first used by that peerless Georgian naval hero, Captain "Lucky" Jack Aubrey, commander of the famous frigate HMS Boggler. It's true! I saw it in the movies!

            • James Yaworsky
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 7, 2011
                Revenue Cutter?

                Jim Yaworsky

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                > What does RC mean?
                >
                > Thanks in advance.
                >
                > Kevin

              • Andrew Bateman
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 7, 2011
                  On 9/7/2011 8:38 PM, James Yaworsky wrote:
                  > Revenue Cutter?
                  >
                  > Jim Yaworsky

                  That was my thinking too, but I'm not a "navy" guy.

                  Andrew B.
                • Kevin Windsor
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 7, 2011
                    It's possible, but wouldn't that be before the ship? I.e. USRC "ship
                    name"??

                    I really have no idea...

                    KW

                    On 9/7/2011 8:38 PM, James Yaworsky wrote:
                    > Revenue Cutter?
                    >
                    > Jim Yaworsky

                    That was my thinking too, but I'm not a "navy" guy.

                    Andrew B.

                    ._,___

                  • petemonahan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 7, 2011
                      Maybe the US followed British custom and used hired vessels as revenue cutters, fleet tenders and such like 'non-rated' ships. [I'm cribbing from Patrick O'Brien here.] As they were not technically 'Navy' ships they may not have been entitled to use 'HMS' or 'USS', so the reference was to "Sara [Revenue Cutter]" as distinct from "USS Sara" or, God forbid, "HMS Sara".

                      My tuppence ha'penny worth!
                    • rjcoole
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 9, 2011
                        Rose Coole

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                        > Greetings esteemed Naval types.....
                        >
                        > I have been reading prisoner of war list (we do read some strange stuff here don't we??) and have come across ships names such as Nimbler RC, Sarah RC, Telemachus RC, Policy RC (there's a fierce ship name! Right up there with Post Boy....)
                        >
                        > What does RC mean?
                        >
                        > Thanks in advance.
                        >
                        > Kevin

                      • Diane Williams
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 9, 2011
                          I posted this question in the War of 1812 group hosted by Michael Dun, who
                          lives in Scotland and does a lot of War of 1812 research at the Royal Navy
                          Archives in Kew, England. He at first replied with Revenue Cutter, but
                          couldn't find any such ships with these names:
                          --RC stands for "revenue cutter" a useful note can be found at http://www.uscg.mil/history/USRMWarOf1812index.asp and associated links -
                          but none of the vessels named are listed so if any have a different
                          explanation I'd be interested.
                          Then we got another response:
                          Homer writes "I am quite certain that RC stands for RECAPTURE" and he is
                          correct -- I apologize I should have realised all was not well when I
                          couldn't find those vessels in the list of Revenue Cutters. As another
                          Homer would say, "Doh!"

                          Harrison Baker mentions same in his prisoner lists -- so using the list for
                          Halifax, I checked on the Sarah, listed as Letter of Marque, and the name
                          Covell, Clement, seaman, taken 14 Sept 1814 by HMS Maidstone.

                          Lloyds's List 25 Oct. 1814:
                          The Sarah, Headley, from St.John's N.B. to Barbadoes, was taken 14th ult.
                          by the Shark privateer, retaken 28th by Maidstone frigate, and arrived at
                          Halifax 30th.

                          Best wishes,
                          Michael
                          Latitude 56:47386 North Longitude -2:84576 West www.1812privateers.org

                          ~~Diane Williams (ggg granddaughter of Privateer Captain John P. Chazal)

                          >What does RC mean?
                          >
                          >Thanks in advance.
                          >
                          >Kevin
                        • Ian Gardner
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 12, 2011
                            Just caught this off Twitter.

                            Researchers begin their quest to locate old graves

                            http://bit.ly/Chatham_1812_graves
                            Ian