Festival at the Fort - Fort Willow Depot Historic Site - Minesing, ON - September 16th & 17th/2011

  • David Brunelle
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2011
      Name of Event: Faire at the Fort/Festival at the Fort

      Location of Event: Fort Willow Depot Historic Site, Minesing, ON

      Re-enactment Event Dates: September 16th & 17th/2011

      Website: www.springwater.ca

      Contact Information: David J. Brunelle (705) 716-7124 or
      davidbrunelle@...

      Short Historical Description of Event and significance to the War of 1812:

      History of the Nine Mile Portage Trail - By: Lyn Downer

      The story of the nine mile portage cannot be done justice in a few minutes,
      however, those few minutes of reflection on our past does bring an
      appreciation of what, and who, came before us. From the earliest times to
      the present, from Native Canadians, to Voyageurs, to British troops, to
      explorers and adventurers, to teamsters and settlers, to us here today, the
      nine mile portage represents a window into the history of Canada. This
      trail that linked Lake Simcoe to Georgian Bay through Willow Creek and the
      Nottawasaga River was originally a trade route for natives that lived on the
      shores of Lake Simcoe and those who lived to the west on the Niagara
      Escarpment. A mode of transportation that allowed a link between these two
      bodies of water, and between native cultures.

      Over time, the nine mile portage evolved, as most things do, but it still
      remained a vital transportation link. Its evolution was determined by the
      times at hand. During the early 1600's it evolved into a trade route to
      transport goods via voyageur. Hardy types who carried two 90 lb packs on
      their backs the whole distance of the portage, and then returned for their
      canoe. Later, after the defeat of the French and the arrival of the British
      forces in the mid 1700's, the route was still one of transportation, but now
      the emphasis turned to defence. John Graves Simcoe made military security
      and economic development his primary goals, and accordingly set out to
      establish a naval base at Penetanguishene that would be supported by the
      transport of goods and services via the nine mile portage. Simcoe's concern
      of defence was born out later when the war of 1812 broke out. As the war
      raged on, and the British forces lost control of the upper lakes, the nine
      mile portage evolved again as a vital transportation link between British
      forts in York and Kingston, and the fort they held at Michilimackinac at the
      head of the lakes. With this fort in peril from American attack, the nine
      mile portage was used in a relief expedition of 200 members of the Royal
      Newfoundland Regiment that marched from Kingston in the winter of 1814. They
      opened the nine mile portage into a more useable roadway for easier passage
      of goods, and created at the other end, what we now call Fort Willow. The
      relief expedition was a success, and the portage proved a vital part of the
      process that saved the northwest from falling into enemy hands.

      From war to peace, the portage evolved again. Following the war of 1812, it
      remained the route of choice for military supplies. By way of example in
      November of 1814 a partial inventory of supplies at Fort Willow consisted of
      over 50,000 lbs of flour, 64,000 lbs of Salt Pork and 13 gallons of rum, all
      transported down the nine mile portage. By this time the trail had been
      widened to handle ox carts, and traffic along it increased with trade and
      settlers coming into the area. It was also a source of employment as many of
      the area's settlers found work on the Portage. In fact, Barrie's first
      settler Alexander Walker was a well-known and successful portage teamster.
      Many wearied themselves on the Nine Mile Portage - Huron/Ouendat, Iroquois,
      Ojibwa, soldier, sailor, settler, priest, voyageur to name but a few, most
      live in anonymity, but some achieved greatness. In 1824, David Thompson the
      great geographer traveled along the route on his way to Montreal from the
      west. In the service of the North West
      Company he had explored and surveyed the Nelson, Churchill and Saskatchewan
      rivers, their surrounding territory and Lake Athabaska. He explored the
      upper Assiniboine, the Missouri and the headwaters of the Mississippi. He
      surveyed and defined the international border from the St. Lawrence River to
      the Lake of the Woods from 1816 to 1826. The year after Thompson, John
      Franklin and his party passed over the Portage on their second overland
      expedition to the Arctic Ocean. They stopped long enough to establish the
      longitude and latitude of the Nottawasaga Portage.

      An all too brief look at the history of the Nine Mile Portage, but one that
      provides us all with an opportunity. Today we have the opportunity to step
      in their footsteps, to literally walk through the mists of time, to travel
      along the same historic route that has contributed so greatly to the
      creation and defence of this nation. Walk along and reminisce, and we'll
      meet you nine miles from here at Fort Willow in a celebration of our
      Heritage.

      Description of planned activities:

      On Friday, Sept 16th & Saturday, Sept 17th, 2011the Township of Springwater,
      the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority and the Friends of Fort
      Willow will once again be celebrating the significance of Historic Fort
      Willow Depot by retracing the steps of our forefathers/mothers in the
      development of our communities and to the history of Canada.

      The Nine Mile Portage, an ancient native trail, once formed a land bridge
      between Kempenfelt Bay and the Nottawasaga River enabling a continuous trade
      and transportation route from Lake Ontario through to Georgian Bay for many
      centuries. During the War of 1812, the British military improved the route
      for the transport of supplies and personnel as Lake Erie and Huron were
      occupied by the Americans. Following the War, the route remained active and,
      what was known as "the portage landing", grew into the community we know as
      Barrie. Today, you can follow the portage route by starting at Heritage
      Park in downtown Barrie to its terminus at the reconstructed British supply
      depot, Fort Willow, located in Springwater Township.

      Billed as the largest nineteenth century pleasure faire in Simcoe County,
      this heritage extravaganza boasts authentic, hands-on activities and
      entertainment sure to please every generation. Exceptional musicians, period
      uniforms and clothing, foods, beverages, workshops, and story-telling,
      combined with cannon/musket demonstrations, military encampments, a
      voyageur/native area, sutlers and merchants make this an exemplary heritage
      opportunity, not to be missed!

      Visitors to the Fort will be greeted by living history re-enactors from
      another century, setting the scene as one steps back in time walking along
      the entrance trail. Once inside the fort grounds visitors will discover that
      everywhere one turns there is something exciting happening, something to
      watch, sample or take part in.

      . Re-enactors who are setting up and staying over on Thursday may
      begin to set-up any time after 12:00 noon.

      . There will be no straw or running water at Fort Willow as it is a
      rural site with no water or electricity hook-up. There are no modern
      washrooms other than two permanent outhouses and there will also be portable
      toilets and one sink unit.

      . Firewood is provided and there will be a large portable water tank
      on site for those who need access to fresh drinking water.

      . Please do not dig fire pits as digging on the historic grounds is
      prohibited. Metal fire plates will be provided for those who wish to have a
      fire. Also please confirm with me the location of your fire.

      . Please ensure you check with me about where you are setting up your
      encampment especially if you are attending Friday's education day. There
      are 31 stations spaced in sequence throughout the fort grounds and proper
      positioning is crucial.

      . I would like all Friday's education stations to be ready to go by
      9:00am. If you are arriving on Friday morning please allow yourself enough
      time for travel, set-up and move your vehicle off the historic grounds.

      . Re-enactors will be allowed to park their vehicles on site at Fort
      Willow on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings. Re-enactors vehicles must
      be moved to the parking lot or the road on Friday and Saturday morning for
      the day.

      . If you have any questions regarding parking please let me know.

      . Food and drink services provided by the Rotary Club of Barrie &
      Springwater will be available for sale at Fort Willow on Friday and Saturday
      from 11:00am till 3:00pm.

      . Fort Willow will be officially open to the public at 9:00am to
      3:00pm on Friday and 10:00am to 4:00pm on Saturday.

      . Directions to the site are as follows - Take Hwy 400 North or South
      to the Dunlop Street Exit also known as County Road/Hwy 90. Proceed west
      along Hwy 90 for 5 km and turn right onto George Johnston Road. When you
      come to the traffic lights at the railway tracks you will turn left onto
      Portage Trail and proceed for 3km until you reach Fort Willow. The route is
      well signed. If you have any questions or require alternate directions
      please let me know.

      . As in past years we will once again be having a pot-luck dinner on
      Friday and Saturday evening. Please bring whatever you can and remember it
      does not have to be cook period style. Chicken wings, pizza as well as pie
      and other great foods are welcomed. Any questions please let me know.

      . For your viewing pleasure I have obtained a copy of the new WNED/PBS
      documentary "The War of 1812" which we will be pre-screening on Friday
      evening at Fort Willow. It does not air on Television till October 10th,
      2011 so this will give everyone in attendance an opportunity to critique the
      production before it officially airs. Bring snacks, drinks, a chair and
      perhaps a blanket as we will be showing the documentary rain or moonshine.

      . If you have any specific questions regarding the event please
      contact me anytime by e-mail or my cell at 705-716-7124.

      Schedule Overview

      Thursday, Sept 15th/11

      12:00pm till Dusk - Set-up of Encampment

      8:30pm - Meeting - Discuss Friday Education Day Activities - Questions &
      Answers

      Friday, Sept 16th/11

      7:00am to 9:00am - Re-enactors set-up encampment at Fort Willow

      9:30am till 12:00pm - Education Day - Morning Component

      12:00pm till 12:30pm - Re-enactors and Participants Lunch Break.

      12:30 till 3:00pm - Education Day - Afternoon Component

      6:30pm - Pot Luck Dinner

      8:00pm - Meeting - Discuss Saturdays Activities - Questions and Answers

      8:30pm - Pre-Screening of the WNED/PBS documentary "THE WAR OF 1812"

      Saturday, Sept 17th/11

      7:00am to 9:30am - Re-enactors set-up encampment at Fort Willow

      10:00pm to 4:00pm - All re-enactors at Fort Willow are actively presenting
      to the public.

      6:30pm - Pot Luck Dinner

      Sunday, Sept 19th/10

      10:00am to 4:00pm - Encampment Breakdown and Departure