Charges filed in teen boy's death

  • cfri
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2011
      This was also reported on CBC Radio this morning.

      Updated: Monday, 05 Sept 11:31 AM EDT
      Published : Monday, 05 Sept, 11:30 AM EDT

      Anthony Congi
      Posted by: Emily Lenihan

      YOUNGSTOWN, N.Y. (WIVB) - A teenage boy's body has been recovered from the water near Old Fort Niagara, and two people are facing criminal charges.

      The 14-year-old boy whose body was discovered in a shallow part of Lake Ontario, in Youngstown, was participating in a War of 1812 re enactment at Old Fort Niagara.

      Members of the US Coast Guard and State Parks Police searched the area around the fort for about 10 minutes and found the teen's body off the north side of the fort, near a retaining wall.

      "There's a wall [on that side of the Fort], and there's a pretty small walkway, pretty slippery, around three-and-a-half, four-feet wide," said Wilfredo Matos, of the U.S. Coast Guard.

      Matos said it would be easy for someone to fall there, "Definitely. It's pretty slippery."

      State Parks Police are charging two people, 50-year-old Peter Cooper and 48-year-old Paula Montgomery, both form Orillia, Ontario, with endangering the welfare of a child and violating the state parks' alcoholic beverages policies.

      Investigators are not releasing the boy's name at this time.

      The teen's body is now at the Erie County Coroner's Office. News 4 will bring you the latest details from his autopsy, as they become available.
    • petemonahan
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2011
        The two adults named are members of the 25th US Infantry, from Orillia. I hope that all of us will keep the boy, his family and everyone involved in our thoughts and prayers, and that we can keep the speculation and discussion on this terrible tragedy to a minimum out of respect for all involved.

        Peter Monahan
      • petemonahan
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2011
          Remembering Alexander "Alex" Dale Nathaniel Montgomery

          Suddenly following a tragic accident in New York State on Sunday September 4, 2011, at the age of 14. Alex Montgomery of Orillia, beloved son of Paula Montgomery of Orillia and Brian Montgomery & wife Julia also of Orillia. Loving brother of Jordan (Ashley) of Barrie and Sam of Orillia. Will be missed by his girlfriend April Usackas of Orillia. Beloved grandson of Linda & Homi Bam of Orillia and Ron Montgomery & wife Melba of Orillia. Adored nephew of Stephen (Jenny), Andrea (Tom), Drew (Leigh), Vince (Karen), Leah (Paul) and Cathy. Will be sadly missed by his cousins, friends and members of the U.S. 25th Regiment McLachlan's Company. The family will receive friends at the Doolittle Chapel of Carson Funeral Homes, 54 Coldwater St. E. Orillia, (705) 326-3595 on Thursday from 2-4 & 7-9 P.M. The funeral service will be held at St. Paul's United Church 62 Peter St. N., Orillia on Friday afternoon, September 9, 2011, at 1 o'clock. Cremation to follow. If desired memorial donations to Wounded Warriors or to the Alex Montgomery Bursary Fund for Minor Hockey would be appreciated by the family
        • Sioux
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2011
            Such very sad news for all concerned. Our hearts go out to Alex's family and friends.

            -- Sioux