troop transports

  • richard6616
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2011
      I have a question for the group---in September 1814 eight ships departed Plymouth, England, carrying the 4000+ men of Major General Keane's division with the destination of taking them to New Orleans. Two of those ships I have id'd as 74's, one was a 44-gun frigate, three more were 38-gun frigates and two were 32-gun frigates. The five of the six frigates had been converted into transports while the sixth [the 44]was a storeship. Does anyone have an idea of what sized crew the transports would have required to carry that many troops?