An event worth traveling for

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
      Ok this is the big question. Traveling from Scotland to US/Canada is not cheap so which one event should I be looking to travel to over the next few years.
      I will have the option of coming as a 95th Rifleman or a US Light Dragoon so either side would do.
      Your thoughts please.
      Cheers,
      A.
    • Paul Watson
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
        Hi Andrew,

        I would suggest that any event that is the bicentennial for that event would be a good guess.  but 4 that come to mind  (one for each year, In Canada) would be

        October 2012- Battle of Queenston Heights
        Late May- early June 2013 Battles of Fort George, Stoney Creek and in the works, Fourty Mile creek, all of these are set up in such a way that they run consecutively
        August 2014 Battle of Fort Erie- This is the largest 1812 event that I know of and in my opinion the best, and given the bicentennial for it 2014 should make it even better
        January 2015 Battle of New Orleans

        I am sure others will have their opinions as well.

        Paul, 21st US, Treats Company

      • JOHN GREIG
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
          Hello All,
          Hopefully we will be coming to:
          October 2012- Battle of Queenston Heights
          Keep saving the pennys!!!!
          As ever,
          Squire

          Hi Andrew,

          I would suggest that any event that is the bicentennial for that event would be a good guess.  but 4 that come to mind  (one for each year, In Canada) would be

          October 2012- Battle of Queenston Heights
          Late May- early June 2013 Battles of Fort George, Stoney Creek and in the works, Fourty Mile creek, all of these are set up in such a way that they run consecutively
          August 2014 Battle of Fort Erie- This is the largest 1812 event that I know of and in my opinion the best, and given the bicentennial for it 2014 should make it even better
          January 2015 Battle of New Orleans

          I am sure others will have their opinions as well.

          Paul, 21st US, Treats Company

        • usmarine1814
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 21, 2011
            That is a good list!!! Getting to all of them I hope

            There are/will be others as well I am sure though...we will all have our opinions... Hopefully Plattsburgh gets its due, as well as Bladensburg and Baltimore in 2014, Thames, Lake Erie and Sackets Harbor in 2013 and of course so many others...I hope those planning these things are working together for the benefit of remembering the War and those who served and not whats best for THEIR sites!....sorry....moving on

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Paul Watson <doc41st@...> wrote:

            > Hi Andrew,
            >
            > I would suggest that any event that is the bicentennial for that event would be a good guess.  but 4 that come to mind  (one for each year, In Canada) would be
            >
            > October 2012- Battle of Queenston Heights
            > Late May- early June 2013 Battles of Fort George, Stoney Creek and in the works, Fourty Mile creek, all of these are set up in such a way that they run consecutively
            > August 2014 Battle of Fort Erie- This is the largest 1812 event that I know of and in my opinion the best, and given the bicentennial for it 2014 should make it even better
            > January 2015 Battle of New Orleans
            >
            > I am sure others will have their opinions as well.
            >
            > Paul, 21st US, Treats Company

          • Mark Dickerson
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 21, 2011
              The 2 biggest that I can think of are Ft Erie and Mississinewa. However, I
              am sure that Ft George will be big as well. When the GT was down at
              Jefferson Patterson, that was a very memorable event.

              The Battle of the Thames is set for October 4, 5 and 6th in 2013. We are
              trying to work with other events so as not to step on anybody's toes. If
              you make it to the Thames, expect to trek for a few kilometers along the
              Thames and have a column of mounted Kentuckians on the field.

              Mark Dickerson

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 22, 2011
                The Bladensburg event, in Prince Frederick, Maryland a few years ago, was a very nice affair and a first rate site.

                Beau
              • Ed
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 22, 2011
                  Beau,

                  I believe you're referring to the Grand tactical in 2008 at Jefferson Patterson Park in southern Maryland. On saturday, we re-enacted the Battle of Bladensburg and on Sunday, North Point and the Battle of Baltimore (minus rockets red glare).

                  Jeff-Patt will celebrate the 200th in June of 2914 with recreatons of the Battles of St Leaonard's Creek.

                  Cheers,
                  Ed Seufert

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, gary beauregard <beau@...> wrote:

                  > The Bladensburg event, in Prince Frederick, Maryland a few years ago, was a very nice affair and a first rate site.
                  >
                  > Beau

                • MasterAtArms
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 23, 2011
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <rmarine1812@...> wrote:
                    > Jeff-Patt will celebrate the 200th in June of 2914 with recreatons of the Battles of St Leaonard's Creek.

                    Ed:

                    I'm really not sure any of us want to wait 900 years to attend....

                    LMAO,
                    Dale
                  • gary beauregard
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 23, 2011
                      I volunteer to go into "stasis", until then. I'm not all that crazy about the time period, that I'm in right now.

                      Beau

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 25, 2011
                        Dale,

                        I don't get WarOf1812 messages any more. For some reason, Yahoo has decided not to send them to me via email. And its been that way since October.

                        So I only get to read these when I sign into Yahoo.

                        I must have been thinking of the future; you know, you can never plan enough.......

                        Cheers,
                        Ed