Dunvegan event

  • Soo
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2011
      The Glengarry Pioneer Museum will be hosting a War of 1812 Re-enactment Weekend
      September 24 – 25, 2011

      Join the encampment on Friday and wake up in 1812 Dunvegan on Saturday. The quaint Scottish hamlet is the perfect backdrop to a weekend of re-enacting - log buildings, open fields, and a welcoming community.
      • Battles and drills
      • 1812 Fashion Show
      • Children's Trunk with games, activities & costumes for kids
      • Locally brewed Ale in the Star Inn Tavern
      • Food and refreshments for sale on site
      • Historical music and other artisans
      • Complementary coffee & muffins for re-enactors both Sat. and Sun.
      • Historical Church Service on Sunday
      • Evening entertainment (join in with your own instruments!)
      For more information, go to
      www.glengarrypioneermuseum.ca

      or contact:
      Jim Mullin at
      1812@...
      Or Mike Drouillard at
      Drouillard_summit@...

      Glengarry Pioneer Museum
      1645 County Rd. 30
      Dunvegan, ON. K0C 1J0

      Phone (613) 527-5230
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 30, 2011
        Hello,

        This is just a friendly reminder that the registration deadline for the Second Annual Dunvegan 1812 re-enactment is coming really fast. We need the registration forms in as soon as you can in order to get the supply lines ready for you (wood, water, straw, grub and beer). I have attached the accompanying registration forms with this e-mail. Be sure to include the number of participants for each group and if you need any special requirements, such as straw. Registration forms are also available online at www.glengarrypioneermuseum.ca

        We hope that you placed Dunvegan into your calendar for September 24-25, 2011. Beau's Brewery will be joining us again at the Old Star Inn (the oldest continuously licensed bar in Eastern Ontario). There will be some artisans throughout the museum, some weavers, spinners, a leatherworker and possibility of a blacksmith too. There will be an old time church service with an 1812 spin at the Kenyon Presbyterian Church right across the street. A pot luck supper Saturday night at the encampment (we're supplying the pies). Children's Activities and some fashion shows. One battle is planned for both Saturday and Sunday.

        On behalf of everyone at the Glengarry Pioneer Museum, I would like to thank you again for your participation with our first War of 1812 Re-enactment last year. We look forward to working with you this September and onward to September 2012, with the hopes that Dunvegan will be a continuing and viable 1812 re-enactment for many years to come.

        Please pass on our sincere thanks and this reminder on to others whom we may have missed.
        Hope to see you in Dunvegan!

        Sincerely,
        Jim Mullin
        Chair, GPM 1812 Planning Committee
      • whittakermp
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2011
          Didn't notice the date posted in the piece Sue forwarded; the event is September 24 - 25, 2011.

          I have heard nothing but compliments about last year's first-time re-enactment at Glengarry Pioneer Village. The hospitality was first rate; the few problems were dealt with directly. I think the organizers have got their act together.

          She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed and I will be there, but Saturday only, to see for ourselves.

          Contrary to popular belief, Dunvegan is not in the middle of nowhere.

          Michael Whittaker
        • Soo
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
            Contrary to popular belief, Dunvegan is not in the middle of nowhere.

            No, it's not Mike - but it's close! lol
            For those of you who plan to attend, be prepared to provision yourself. There is no handy pub or restaurant within walking distance. There is food available on site during the day however.

            Saturday evening, we plan on having a pot luck supper. Apple pie (baked by the same lady across the street who felt so sorry for the "lonely soldiers" last year)will be the dessert supplied by the museum staff and volunteers. Make sure you register so that we know how many pies to have on hand!
            Even if you are only day tripping, plan on bring a contribution to the supper and stay to socialize.

            Oh yes! Beau's Brewery will be manning the tap room of the historic Star Inn once again. ;-)

            There will be a church parade Sunday morning. Hopefully, not too many will be "under the weather"! The village is _very_ supportive of this event. A great chance to meet and mingle with the neighbours, and the minister is going to do an old-fashioned service.
            It will be in English! Until the 1930's, the main service at this church was in Gaelic.

            If anyone has any other scenarios that they wish to present, please let the organizers know.

            Sue Too