Parks Canada Relocate 200 Year-Old Gunboat

  • goussea
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2011
    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2011
        My question is, Why?The gunboat had a perfectly good home at Mallorytown Landing, and was easily accessible to travellers along the St Lawrence Parkway.Great place for a picnic too.Just thinkin'Ray Hobbs

        From: goussea@...
        Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 12:28:41 +0000
        Subject: 1812 Parks Canada Relocate 200 Year-Old Gunboat
      • Rob Irvine
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2011
          Mr. Hobbs

          In my humble opinion-Parks Canada have finally seen the light
          The gunboat will now rest in a military historic setting--Fort Wellington in Prescott- a gunboat station of 1812 , advertised and promoted as such and in a proper discovery type centre, not any farther off the 4 nothing one than before and in a location that will be a much warmer and welcoming focused site for the boat- (from the heart not heat).

          Parks Bonjour (Canada ) had sadly neglected her in Mallorytown Landing and there was nothing left of the site to relect the naval side of history or War of 1812..Weeds were growing up aroung the site now dedicated to the scuba divers ,Black Rat Snakes and the Frontenac Arch Bioshere which is now the site main focus-the area where the Candian Shield joined up with the Adirondacks that later created the thousand plus islands after the ice melted. The docks have been removed that once had being one of the great places to have a gunboat weekend re-enactment and docking for some of the tallships.
          What once was a great family site for shallow water and beach life suitable for young children has gone as well as the large parking lot and picnic areas replaced with a small beach,boatramp for divers and less picnic areas--my children had many a great picnic there.

          So to sum up--"She is in a better place "

          I am looking forward to the finished exhibit and a renewed intetest in our navel past.

          Yours
          Bob Irvine
          Royal Navy Landing Party and Gun Crew
          District of Johnstown

          From: goussea@...
          Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 12:28:41 +0000

        • Ray Hobbs
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2011
            Thank you for the explanation. It answers my question completely.Ray H

            [snip]
            In my humble opinion-Parks Canada have finally seen the light

            The gunboat will now rest in a military historic setting--Fort Wellington in Prescott- a gunboat station of 1812 ,[big snip]

            [SURPLUS MATERIAL FROM PRIOR MESSAGES EDITED OUT BY MODERATOR]
          • whittakermp
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2011
              Re: In my humble opinion-Parks Canada have finally seen the light

              I can only agree with Bob! Mallorytown Landing is not what it was; not saying it is worse, just different. The gunboat was out of sight and out of mind and sitting like a carp out of water.

              Fort Wellington is the best place to preserve and interpret the relic.

              Michael Whittaker