Re: points of view

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 174 , Jul 22, 2011
      Diane Williams <diane_williams@...> wrote:

      > From what I've been told by historians about the British point of view, the War of 1812 melds into the Napoleonic Wars. It's not really considered a separate conflict.
      >

      > ~~Diane

      They're right. The War of 1812 *should* be viewed in the context of the overall global strategic situation in the Napoleonic Wars. It would have never started if the British weren't locked in a fight to the finish with the Napoleonic Empire. And if Napoleon had won or even fought the British to a stalemate, the outcome of the War of 1812 might have been very different.

      For that matter, it would probably have had a very different end even if Wellington had suffered a disastrous defeat in the Iberian Peninsular War at, say, Salamanca (summer of 1812).

      Could the Canadas have been defended if there had not been reinforcements sent over in 1813 and 1814 - or, worst case scenario for the Anglo-Canadians, if the troops who *were* in North America had been withdrawn to reinforce Wellington, or to defend the British Isles themselves?

      It's truly ironic that as the U.S. declared war, counting on a Napoleon who seemed at the peak of his power to keep the British busy, Napoleon was getting set to invade Russia... the biggest mistake he ever made. If the U.S. had held off until 1813, it seems very unlikely that war would have been declared.

      Jim Yaworsky
      41st
    • Jim & JoAnn Gallen
      Message 174 of 174 , Dec 19, 2013
        Jim,

        Welcome to the group?  We will look forward to your posts.

        Jim Gallen