OT: Promoting Events (lesson from other time period)

  • 12th United States Infantry Regiment 1812
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 2011
      I thought this was interesting... The organizers of the 150th
      Anniversary Reenactment of the Battle of First Manassas have tapped
      into the social media and online discount sites to promote their
      event. They're offering tickets for either two adults or families
      through Groupon at about 50% regular price: http://gr.pn/k4ns2x

      I'm always looking at how other events and other time periods handle
      their events and I certainly wish that Groupon, Living Social,
      Facebook and Twitter were around with an event I ran back in 2006
      since I had to push ticket sales (which sites normally do). Some sites
      do a "per person" model, others do "by car", etc. and so it's
      interesting to see how they're approaching this event. I also can't
      believe the price...regular prices are $43.19/adult and $33.70/kid?
      Those are close to theme park prices and I know people have complained
      about $10/adult and $20/car prices for events. I guess they can get it
      with the full court press on the publicity around the 150th in the
      mainstream media (History Channel specials, Washington Post special
      sections, etc.) and the larger numbers that participate in Civil War
      events, but still!

      I also am aware of the costs involved in putting on events. Portable
      restrooms alone can cost thousands of dollars for a large event, not
      to mention firewood, water, straw, permits, traffic control, emergency
      services, etc. not to mention the staff hours for the host site.
      Events probably rarely make money and are lucky to break even. This is
      why the concept of event fees for participants (which are normal in
      other time periods) comes up and goes down like a lead balloon, but I
      wonder how much can an event charge before reaching a point of
      diminishing returns?

      Anyway, I thought I'd share this to see if we can learn anything about
      it to make our own events more successful.

      Cheers,
      Todd
    • 12th US Infantry
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2011
        Not our time period, but something worth taking note of.

        Cheers,
        Todd

        http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/lightning-strike-injures-5-gettysburg-reenactors-3-hospitalized-3-tents-damaged/2011/07/03/AGQR5qwH_story.html

        GETTYSBURG, Pa. — A lightning strike at a camp of Civil War reenactors in Gettysburg, Pa., has sent five people to hospitals.

        The Gettysburg Anniversary Committee says in a statement that during a severe thunderstorm at about 2:45 a.m. Sunday, lightning struck a tent pole in the Confederate artillery camp, resulting in moderate injuries to two people and minor injuries to three others.

        The five were taken to Gettysburg Hospital. One is in stable condition. Two others in stable condition were treated and transferred to York Hospital. Two others were treated and released.

        Reenactment officials say a tent-by-tent search of the site by staff and local fire departments turned up no other injuries. They say three small tents were damaged
      • gary beauregard
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2011
          Very interesting, thank you. Something to think about, since some of us set up our tentage under large trees. Remember to bring your "Faraday cage", to the next event.

          Beau

          --- On Sun, 7/3/11, 12th US Infantry <12thinfantry@...> wrote:

          GETTYSBURG, Pa. — A lightning strike at a camp of Civil War reenactors in Gettysburg, Pa., has sent five people to hospitals.

          EDITED BY MODERATOR TO REMOVE SURPLUS VERBIAGE
        • JOHN GREIG
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2011
            So God was on the Union side !!!

            I hope the people involved make a full and quick recovery.

            Squire

          • secondvaregt
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2011
              More details are out and it turns out one of the victims was pregnant:

              http://www.publicopiniononline.com/localnews/ci_18415686

              Cheers,
              Todd

              EDITED BY MODERATOR TO REMOVE SURPLUS VERBIAGE FROM PRIOR MESSAGE(S)