Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] RE: 1812 Miscellany etc.

  • Fred Briggs
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 23 8:08 AM
      There seems to be a little confusion re Glorious Battle shown last
      night on WNED (a PBS Station). That was a half-hour production made for
      WNED. The two-hour 1812 film that will be shown in October has been made
      for PBS and will probably be more widey shown.
      Glorious Battle was much better than most WNED productions, and was
      mostly shot in the woods and in the dark, so I don't think it was shot
      during a public re-enactment. I noticed in the credits that Peter Twist
      was involved with staging the re-enacting.
      I have high hopes for the upcoming PBS production.

      Fred Briggs

      Ray Hobbs wrote:

      >No: It was a stand-alone production, extremely well-made.See Peter Monahan's latest mailing for the "Making of..."Ray
      >
      >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      >From: trainwithnova@...
      >Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:49:16 -0400
      >Subject: Re: 1812 Miscellany etc.

      > Roy, was the movie "Glorious Battle" filled during last years reenactment at
      >
      >Fort Erie? I recall a lot of camera's in our faces as we were loading and
      >
      >shooting.
      >
      >Checomick
      >
      >On-Gwe-Ho-Way

      >EDITED BY MODERATOR TO REMOVE THE ENTIRE TEXT AND HEADERS OF THE

      >------------------------------------
      >
      > War of 1812 Living History:
      >A wide-ranging information exchange
      >for all participants and supporters

      > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      > American Forces Unit Listing
      > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
      >
      >WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
      >2010Yahoo! Groups Links

    • petemonahan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 23 8:51 AM
        Fred

        The 'Making of...' video mentions Peter Twist in the credits, including the perhaps gratuitous subtitles "Pirates of the Caribbean; The Patriot".

        More to the point, the director speaks of Peter's expertise and commitment to accuracy, down to the finest detail:

        Director: "Can we get away with [this button on this coat]?"

        Twist: "No." :7)

        There is also a lovely scene in which Peter points out that if a musket ball hit you in the lowere body you would fall forward, not backward, followed by shots of an extra doing exactly that. So nice to see somebody get it right!

        Huzzah for Mr. Twist!

        Peter Monahan
      • petemonahan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 23 1:14 PM
          I wrote earlier today that:

          ... I received this information earlier in the week from the people at WBNS about the availability of copies of the film... [quoting Kate Kelly of WETA as saying]

          Yes, the DVD of The War of 1812 will be available for
          pre-order shortly via pbs.org/1812 or ShopPBS.org (within
          next few weeks)....

          It is that last sentence I blame - since clearly I'M not at fault - for conflating two separate programs on the War of 1812.

          Mr Fred Briggs is correct that the 30 minute program aired last night is NOT a version of the two hour film airing October 10th! The information above on CDs of the 2 hour one is still accurate. My apologies for the confusion!

          PM
        • Art Neilands
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 23 1:50 PM
            Checomick" I watched it last night and within the first 5 mins.or so there's a
            scene of  Gi Gwe Sed Niinii ( Hunter) giving a war cry, when or how they got
            that shot I couldn't say. Was an enjoyable program to watch, I was a little
            surprised but pleased to hear the referances to/of William "Tiger" Dunlop whom
            is buried along with his brother not to far from my home.

            Michel Cadotte
            On-Gwe-Ho-Way

          • Mark Dickerson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 24 5:25 AM
              Most of the scenes were shot at Westfield pioneer village near Hamilton, at Ft Erie or before the Chrysler’s Farm event during various scheduled shoots throughout 2009 and 2020. As far as I know, no footage from any re-enactments was used.

              Mark Dickerson

              On Behalf Of Art Neilands
              Sent: June 23, 2011 4:50 PM
              To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com