Casting call for 1812 Documentary video project

  • Ian Gardner
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2011
      For those who might be interested.

      http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/tfr/2424279626.html

      Don't shoot the messenger. :-)
      Ian

    • petemonahan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2011
        Ian

        No personal offence intended at all, but you may in fact get shot. [grin] This is a very very touchy subject at least among many of the Ontario reenactors!

        Some of us [not me] do make or try to make our living in the film industry and it is notoiusly abusive of groups like ours: "They'll do it for $100.00 and we wont have to pay union rates." And they'll expect you to use your own kit and weapons, but won't offer to pay for rental and far too often will damage, dirty or lose stuff because in the film word throwing money at it always makes everything ok again!

        Nobody, with the odd exception of film students and some historical sites can afford to make the film but not to pay the actors. If the film company plans to make money selling your image and expertise, why shouldn't they pay you the going rate? This kind of thing hurts the professionals and makes the rest of us look like chumps!

        Off my soap box now!

        Respectfully,
        Peter Monahan
      • David Brunelle
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2011
          The advertisement Ian gave reference to was not intended for re-enactors and
          was posted on Craig's List for the general public and the movie production
          company will be providing the costuming for the roles listed. It is not
          insulting to re-enactors as it was not directed to go out to re-enactors.

          David J. Brunelle, OCT

          Project Director

          Southern Georgian Bay

          War of 1812 Bicentennial Committee