1812 Pastimes

  • fifendrums
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2011
      Forgive me if this has been discussed, but what were popular pastimes for soldiers during the War of 1812?
      There are plenty of material available for the US Civil War, cards, dice, base ball and such, but I have found it difficult to find out much about 1812. I guess I am approaching it from the US side, but what did soldiers do?
      Are there many letters? Were there games?
      I was considering getting some period style paper and pencils and doing sketches during my off time in camp for my impression.

      I would appreciate any feedback.

      Thanks!!
    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2011
        For the officers, I think in LeCouture's book he mentions some of the
        Scottish officer's playing golf. But I haven't checked that, I am just
        going on memory. It's one of those "I remember reading somewhere."

        Mark Dickerson