Re: 1812 Pay Parade, Stony Creek

  • Paul and Charlene
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1 8:24 AM
      Peter,

      What's a Pay Parade and a stray Jonathon?

      Charlene Roberts

    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1 8:39 AM
        Frustration (for those in line) and a target :)Ray H

        To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        From: astitch@...
        Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 11:24:24 -0400
        Subject: Re: 1812 Pay Parade, Stony Creek

        Peter,

        What's a Pay Parade and a stray Jonathon?

        Charlene Roberts

      • peter monahan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2 5:47 AM
          Charlene

          I apologize. I guess that was a little cryptic!

          In a pay Parade scenario, which has been done before at SC, 10 or so soliders line up to collect their pay - months in arrears - and the fun starts. Several get all their pay, one gets none- lost equipment - and the rest get various amounts based on various imaginative offences. At least one will be drunk and belligerent, several wives and perhaps a lady of negotiable virtue will shjow up to try and collect and we will have a civilian lady asking payment for her lost chickens this time. A Jonathan [aka American] may try to sneak into the line too. After that, its up to the ingenuity of all to make it a fun eventy. i usually issue paybooks with each man's 'lines' inside, so no great stage experience is required.

          Hope this helps and hope to see you there!

          Peter Monahan
          Serjeant Major, CFNA

          > Peter,
          >
          > What's a Pay Parade and a stray Jonathon?
          >
          > Charlene Roberts

        • Paul and Charlene
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2 7:50 AM
            Thanks for the explanation Peter.

            Charlene Roberts

          • John
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2 1:03 PM
              Hi Peter,

              This sounds like a brilliant animation and fun to do..! I hate to ask, but I have long thought of having a pay parade scenario here in Aust and would love to see the pay doc's and lines for the 'actors'.. Would it be possible to get a copy for your cousins 'down under'..? Anything I/we can supply in return...?

              Regards,

              John

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, peter monahan <petemonahan@...> wrote:

              > Charlene
              >
              > I apologize. I guess that was a little cryptic!
              >
              > In a pay Parade scenario, which has been done before at SC, 10 or so soliders line up to collect their pay - months in arrears - and the fun starts. Several get all their pay, one gets none- lost equipment - and the rest get various amounts based on various imaginative offences. At least one will be drunk and belligerent, several wives and perhaps a lady of negotiable virtue will shjow up to try and collect and we will have a civilian lady asking payment for her lost chickens this time. A Jonathan [aka American] may try to sneak into the line too. After that, its up to the ingenuity of all to make it a fun eventy. i usually issue paybooks with each man's 'lines' inside, so no great stage experience is required.
              >
              > Hope this helps and hope to see you there!
              >

              > Peter Monahan
              > Serjeant Major, CFNA
              >
              > > Peter,
              > >
              > > What's a Pay Parade and a stray Jonathon?
              > >
              > > Charlene Roberts

            • Soo
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3 4:34 AM
                With any luck someone will video it and post a copy John!
                *hint* *hint*

                Sue Too

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John" <potts4259@...> wrote:

                > Hi Peter,
                >
                > This sounds like a brilliant animation and fun to do..! I hate to ask, but I have long thought of having a pay parade scenario here in Aust and would love to see the pay doc's and lines for the 'actors'.. Would it be possible to get a copy for your cousins 'down under'..? Anything I/we can supply in return...?
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > John
                >

                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, peter monahan <petemonahan@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Charlene
                > >
                > > I apologize. I guess that was a little cryptic!
                > >
                > > In a pay Parade scenario, which has been done before at SC, 10 or so soliders line up to collect their pay - months in arrears - and the fun starts. Several get all their pay, one gets none- lost equipment - and the rest get various amounts based on various imaginative offences. At least one will be drunk and belligerent, several wives and perhaps a lady of negotiable virtue will shjow up to try and collect and we will have a civilian lady asking payment for her lost chickens this time. A Jonathan [aka American] may try to sneak into the line too. After that, its up to the ingenuity of all to make it a fun eventy. i usually issue paybooks with each man's 'lines' inside, so no great stage experience is required.
                > >
                > > Hope this helps and hope to see you there!
                > >

                > > Peter Monahan
                > > Serjeant Major, CFNA
                > >
                > > > Peter,
                > > >
                > > > What's a Pay Parade and a stray Jonathon?
                > > >
                > > > Charlene Roberts

              • Ian Gardner
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 6 12:47 PM
                  For those who might be interested.

                  http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/tfr/2424279626.html

                  Don't shoot the messenger. :-)
                  Ian

                • petemonahan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 6 1:12 PM
                    Ian

                    No personal offence intended at all, but you may in fact get shot. [grin] This is a very very touchy subject at least among many of the Ontario reenactors!

                    Some of us [not me] do make or try to make our living in the film industry and it is notoiusly abusive of groups like ours: "They'll do it for $100.00 and we wont have to pay union rates." And they'll expect you to use your own kit and weapons, but won't offer to pay for rental and far too often will damage, dirty or lose stuff because in the film word throwing money at it always makes everything ok again!

                    Nobody, with the odd exception of film students and some historical sites can afford to make the film but not to pay the actors. If the film company plans to make money selling your image and expertise, why shouldn't they pay you the going rate? This kind of thing hurts the professionals and makes the rest of us look like chumps!

                    Off my soap box now!

                    Respectfully,
                    Peter Monahan
                  • David Brunelle
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 6 1:26 PM
                      The advertisement Ian gave reference to was not intended for re-enactors and
                      was posted on Craig's List for the general public and the movie production
                      company will be providing the costuming for the roles listed. It is not
                      insulting to re-enactors as it was not directed to go out to re-enactors.

                      David J. Brunelle, OCT

                      Project Director

                      Southern Georgian Bay

                      War of 1812 Bicentennial Committee