Pay Parade, Stony Creek

  • petemonahan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2011
      I'm looking for some soldiers and a few wives and one stray Jonathon to take part in a Pay Parade at Stony Creek this Saturday. Ever wanted to be a thespian?

      Fifteen to twenty minutes of low comedy, a grog ration later at the Serjeant Major's tent and a chance, for once, to talk back! Please send a short email or see me Fridaty evening in the British camp. Thanks!

      Peter Monahan
      Serjeant Major
    • Paul and Charlene
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2011
        Peter,

        What's a Pay Parade and a stray Jonathon?

        Charlene Roberts

      • Ray Hobbs
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2011
          Frustration (for those in line) and a target :)Ray H

          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
          From: astitch@...
          Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 11:24:24 -0400
          Subject: Re: 1812 Pay Parade, Stony Creek

          Peter,

          What's a Pay Parade and a stray Jonathon?

          Charlene Roberts

        • peter monahan
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2011
            Charlene

            I apologize. I guess that was a little cryptic!

            In a pay Parade scenario, which has been done before at SC, 10 or so soliders line up to collect their pay - months in arrears - and the fun starts. Several get all their pay, one gets none- lost equipment - and the rest get various amounts based on various imaginative offences. At least one will be drunk and belligerent, several wives and perhaps a lady of negotiable virtue will shjow up to try and collect and we will have a civilian lady asking payment for her lost chickens this time. A Jonathan [aka American] may try to sneak into the line too. After that, its up to the ingenuity of all to make it a fun eventy. i usually issue paybooks with each man's 'lines' inside, so no great stage experience is required.

            Hope this helps and hope to see you there!

            Peter Monahan
            Serjeant Major, CFNA

            > Peter,
            >
            > What's a Pay Parade and a stray Jonathon?
            >
            > Charlene Roberts

          • Paul and Charlene
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2011
              Thanks for the explanation Peter.

              Charlene Roberts

            • John
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2011
                Hi Peter,

                This sounds like a brilliant animation and fun to do..! I hate to ask, but I have long thought of having a pay parade scenario here in Aust and would love to see the pay doc's and lines for the 'actors'.. Would it be possible to get a copy for your cousins 'down under'..? Anything I/we can supply in return...?

                Regards,

                John

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, peter monahan <petemonahan@...> wrote:

                > Charlene
                >
                > I apologize. I guess that was a little cryptic!
                >
                > In a pay Parade scenario, which has been done before at SC, 10 or so soliders line up to collect their pay - months in arrears - and the fun starts. Several get all their pay, one gets none- lost equipment - and the rest get various amounts based on various imaginative offences. At least one will be drunk and belligerent, several wives and perhaps a lady of negotiable virtue will shjow up to try and collect and we will have a civilian lady asking payment for her lost chickens this time. A Jonathan [aka American] may try to sneak into the line too. After that, its up to the ingenuity of all to make it a fun eventy. i usually issue paybooks with each man's 'lines' inside, so no great stage experience is required.
                >
                > Hope this helps and hope to see you there!
                >

                > Peter Monahan
                > Serjeant Major, CFNA
                >
                > > Peter,
                > >
                > > What's a Pay Parade and a stray Jonathon?
                > >
                > > Charlene Roberts

              • Soo
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2011
                  With any luck someone will video it and post a copy John!
                  *hint* *hint*

                  Sue Too

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John" <potts4259@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Peter,
                  >
                  > This sounds like a brilliant animation and fun to do..! I hate to ask, but I have long thought of having a pay parade scenario here in Aust and would love to see the pay doc's and lines for the 'actors'.. Would it be possible to get a copy for your cousins 'down under'..? Anything I/we can supply in return...?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > John
                  >

                  > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, peter monahan <petemonahan@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Charlene
                  > >
                  > > I apologize. I guess that was a little cryptic!
                  > >
                  > > In a pay Parade scenario, which has been done before at SC, 10 or so soliders line up to collect their pay - months in arrears - and the fun starts. Several get all their pay, one gets none- lost equipment - and the rest get various amounts based on various imaginative offences. At least one will be drunk and belligerent, several wives and perhaps a lady of negotiable virtue will shjow up to try and collect and we will have a civilian lady asking payment for her lost chickens this time. A Jonathan [aka American] may try to sneak into the line too. After that, its up to the ingenuity of all to make it a fun eventy. i usually issue paybooks with each man's 'lines' inside, so no great stage experience is required.
                  > >
                  > > Hope this helps and hope to see you there!
                  > >

                  > > Peter Monahan
                  > > Serjeant Major, CFNA
                  > >
                  > > > Peter,
                  > > >
                  > > > What's a Pay Parade and a stray Jonathon?
                  > > >
                  > > > Charlene Roberts

                • Ian Gardner
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 6, 2011
                    For those who might be interested.

                    http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/tfr/2424279626.html

                    Don't shoot the messenger. :-)
                    Ian

                  • petemonahan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 6, 2011
                      Ian

                      No personal offence intended at all, but you may in fact get shot. [grin] This is a very very touchy subject at least among many of the Ontario reenactors!

                      Some of us [not me] do make or try to make our living in the film industry and it is notoiusly abusive of groups like ours: "They'll do it for $100.00 and we wont have to pay union rates." And they'll expect you to use your own kit and weapons, but won't offer to pay for rental and far too often will damage, dirty or lose stuff because in the film word throwing money at it always makes everything ok again!

                      Nobody, with the odd exception of film students and some historical sites can afford to make the film but not to pay the actors. If the film company plans to make money selling your image and expertise, why shouldn't they pay you the going rate? This kind of thing hurts the professionals and makes the rest of us look like chumps!

                      Off my soap box now!

                      Respectfully,
                      Peter Monahan
                    • David Brunelle
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 6, 2011
                        The advertisement Ian gave reference to was not intended for re-enactors and
                        was posted on Craig's List for the general public and the movie production
                        company will be providing the costuming for the roles listed. It is not
                        insulting to re-enactors as it was not directed to go out to re-enactors.

                        David J. Brunelle, OCT

                        Project Director

                        Southern Georgian Bay

                        War of 1812 Bicentennial Committee